workflow: resize, watermark, caption

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
emax
Authentication code: 1152

Re: workflow: resize, watermark, caption

Post by emax »

An update is available, V1.3, same link:
emax wrote: 2018-02-21T11:10:17-07:00 You can download it here.
  • Logging now implemented.
  • Couple of internal improvements and Fixes.
  • Updated manual. (though no English yet).
  • Updated version number.
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Another extra could be a choice to sharpen the image optionally: none,light,medium,strong or so. Not the full blown IM capabilities since my focus is not on perfection but on easy application.
There are so many things you can add and before long your program could get more complicated than you originally planned!

I have a website people can modify photos on but I decided to keep it simple without any options.
PaulAThompson
Authentication code: 13

Post by PaulAThompson »

I have worked on a similar approach for a number of years. I use this as my "learn a new language" project.

I do the following:

1) Program 1: Read a directory looking for photos (.png, jpg, tiff, etc)
2) Write the names of the photos to a small editable file
3) You edit the file and put in short captions or long captions. Short captions go under the picture. Long captions go on a small panel next to the picture.
4) Reprocessing the subdir allows you to either add new pix to the text file or remove ones that are no longer in the subdir
5) Program 2: Take the text file and build a IM program to put a) a small silver frame around the pic b) the caption below or to the right of the pic
6) It also builds a laTeX program to make thumbnails in a file.
emax

Post by emax »

This is a typical batch-processing concept.

I made my tool for a forum to process about 1300 beamshots of torchlights (page down and you will see them). Was easy on linux and basically a commandline job. Having done so, the maker of the list needed a tool to do this in the future in charges of a dozen pictures each time he had new "beamshots".

So I wrote something simple in VBS. This was not a very smart tool but did the job. However, I decided to implement something more convenient and cross-platform executable. As for you, this was my "learning" experiment (Java) and still is under development just for this purpose. The tool itself is so to say a "lateral damage" of my learning-approach but does the job even better.

The batch-method is something I still use on the command-line (I am linux only) for bigger picture-collections.
emax

Post by emax »

@Bonzo

You're right, things can easily get out of control and end up in a mess. But I have the strong idea to let the user-interface just be as it is, and set the defaults as reasonable as possible. Additional options shall only be accessible by an "Advanced" button or so.

I want this to stay as simple as possible.
emax

Post by emax »

There is now Version 1.4 online which is multilingual, currently in German, English and Italian.

Download here as always.