Create 2D image from 3D-Model

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
AndRi
Authentication code: 1152

Create 2D image from 3D-Model

Post by AndRi »

Hello Forum,

I wonder how I can get a high resolution picture of a 3D model (mesh in .obj, .ply or .stl file format)?

I know it sounds weird, because normally it's the other way round creating a 3D model from 2D images. But in this case a printed image from a 3D model is required.

I could do a screenshot but I'm afraid the resolution wouldn't be sufficient. The 2D image should be a TIF of 300dpi and a resolution of about 4700x9500 Px.

Can this be done by IM?

Best,
AndRi
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Create 2D image from 3D-Model

Post by fmw42 »

I do not think Imagemagick can read 3D model files of any kind. I think you will need some 3D tool to read and render your model to a 2D image
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Create 2D image from 3D-Model

Post by snibgo »

As Fred says, IM has no facilities to render 3D models. We can fake very simple models, eg cylinders and rectangles viewed from any angle, but it isn't a general-purpose 3D modeller.
AndiRi wrote:I could do a screenshot but ...
A screen shot of what? Of 3D software showing your 3D model, I suppose. That software will have a facility to render the view to a file, with whatever lighting you want and at whatever resolution you want.

Blender works fine. It can be diven from a GUI or from the command line. But you already are using some software.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com