Suggestions for cleaning severely-condensed text appearing in a graphic?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
XnTriq
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Suggestions for cleaning severely-condensed text appearing in a graphic?

Post by XnTriq »

fmw42 wrote: 2018-05-03T15:18:52-07:00 Those links probably still work for the most part, if you just replace magick for convert. Or make a symbolic link between the two so that convert is really just magick.
Hello fmw42. I think I just don't know how to >>begin. :lol: And yes, literally.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])
That is the question.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

Start by reading the basic link to get the gist of the syntax. Also see syntax and operators and settings at https://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#syntax. Then try some examples from the other links that snibgo has suggested. Then ask questions about simple commands if you do not understand something.

There are a couple of very old books at https://www.imagemagick.org/script/sitemap.php#help. But they may be pre-IM6 syntax. But they probably give you some idea of the functionality.
XnTriq

Post by XnTriq »

snibgo wrote: 2018-05-03T14:29:51-07:00Oh, I was thinking you had hundred or thousands. I'd re-type them. Much easier. 30 minutes per poster, 3 hours per year.
I hate to be such a pain but in the interest of authenticity I'd pefer sitting here hacking away! As I replied to fmw42 you have to Spell. Each. Step. Out. Literally. That's why I included all the path data. A good place to begin would be telling me what directory I'm starting in. :lol: Amazing, isn't it. I build my own computers, but DOS? Fleeing from the room and disappearing around the grade leaving a smoke trail.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])
That is the question.
XnTriq

Post by XnTriq »

fmw42 wrote: 2018-05-03T17:15:29-07:00Then ask questions about simple commands if you do not understand something.
I am asking a question. What directory do I start in?
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])
That is the question.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

You were asking where to start? I thought that mean where to start with the links snibgo suggested. What do you mean by "where to start"? Where what?

Are you asking what directory of the code or some other source of information?

I am simply suggesting you read the links that snibgo suggested, not the code itself. I listed the order that I think you should start with those links.

Do I misunderstand your question?
XnTriq

Post by XnTriq »

In my prior post I provided all of the path information & environment variables; what I'm asking for at this juncture is only the outline of how an IM script executes using those variables. We initiate the script from somewhere on my computer, correct? Will it be Z:\Windows\System 32? Will it be the IM program folder Z:\[PROGRAMS] XP\IMAGEMAGICK? Is it path-specific -or- is it easier to place everything into the IMAGEMAGICK folder and save some typing? I've anticipated that for you and done just that (see my file paths).

What about my guess as to how a basic IM script executes is wrong:
  1. Create a text file with the IM syntax and name it ______.bat
  2. Place the ______.bat file in Folder A
  3. Place the graphic file you want to convert in Folder A
  4. Double-click cmd.exe. This opens a command window
  5. CD to Folder A
  6. Now at the Folder A blinking cursor type ______
etc.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])
That is the question.
XnTriq

Post by XnTriq »

Please, don't let my unconventional partition architecture confuse you. My "Z:\" partition is what most people would recognize as "C:\"
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])
That is the question.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Sorry, one of the Windows users will have to help. I only work on a Mac.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

You can install IM to any directory you want. Most users put that directory on their system path, so they can run IM with "magick" or "convert" without needing to give the path.

You can put scripts in any directory you want. You can put that directory on your system path if you want. Otherwise, if your current directory is somewhere else, you will need to prefix the script name with its directory.

You can put images in any directory you want. If they are not in your current directory, you will need to prefix their names with their directories.

As general advice: install IM to its own directory, and don't put anything else there, because that would make upgrades difficult.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com