problems with IPTC information in JPEG files

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Thanks for the problem report. We'll take a look at fixing the problem for the next ImageMagick point release.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

TIFF accepts IPTC profiles but apparently Photoshop likes them wrapped in an 8BIM profile. We would say this is a bug in Photoshop if it cannot properly read a TIFFTAG_RICHTIFFIPTC tag which is well documented in the TIFF specification. We'll investigate this issue further in a few days.
mact

Post by mact »

Moin,

I am running over Photoshop-IPTC problems quite often. Especially PS7 seems to live in a world of its own that is not connected to the IPTC reality I live in.
As for TIFFs I helped myself by handling IPTC in them on my own, not using IM's IPTC functions. There are applications on the market that even write wrong IPTC chunks in TIFFs completely, so I use the TIFF directory, grab the IPTC blob and handle it myself.
It seems that when dealing with TIFFs the best way is to strip all profiles (including IPTC) and recreate them manually - this way PS does not moan.

I have to add that I am using IM core, not the shell tools, so I don't know how to solve the TIFF/IPTC problems on shell base.

Marc