large image conversion problem

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
chanoy

large image conversion problem

Post by chanoy »

Hi,

I want to convert some large images into ppm/pgm format. However, I encounter the following problem:

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.2.6-Q16>convert balloon.jpg balloon.ppm
convert: unable to extend cache `balloon.jpg': No such file or directory.
convert: Application transferred too few scanlines `balloon.jpg'.

On smaller images, it works fine. balloon.jpg is a 16000x12000 24BPP image. It's about 7mbs in size.

Thanks for any help,
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We have a lightweight program to convert large images we're getting ready to release, but in the mean-time ImageMagick requires copious amounts of disk space to process large images. It's possible you are running out of disk space or you are running on a FATS disk and ImageMagick wants to create a temporary disk file greater than 4GB. For that you need NTFS.
chanoy

Post by chanoy »

Thanks for the quick reply.
When is the expected release date for the lightweight program?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

The program is called stream and we're not sure when it will be released, perhaps in a month or two. We could post the source now but its completely untested and we're not even sure it works properly.
Last edited by magick on 2006-06-22T17:19:46-07:00, edited 1 time in total.