jpg -> bmp convert bug?

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
rjoyal

jpg -> bmp convert bug?

Post by rjoyal »

app name: convert
tested versions: 6.2.8 on Linux, 6.2.6 on Windows 2000, 6.3.5-3-Q16 on WinXP (downloaded today...)
bug: windows desktop wallpaper selector doesn't see the converted files as valid

I have lots jpegs that I'm converting to bmps for use as windows wallpapers. I have 4 jpegs that convert ok, I can open them in paint, xnview, anything but the windows desktop wallpaper selector.

the command line I'm using is
convert file.jpg file.bmp

When I open the affected bmp in a hex editor, at offset 14 is a value of 124 decimal instead of 40.
Changing this fixes it.

I posted the original jpg at http://www.rollingviolation.com/pix/mis ... ck_bug.jpg

What's interesting is opening and resaving the jpg also fixes it, so I suspect there's something funky in the jpg that trips up the converter.

I don't have any windows C compilers, but I do have linux (Slackware) so I'm game to try patching the source if someone can help me through it. (some kind of debug mode to show where it's tripping up?)

Ray
magick
Site Admin

Re: jpg -> bmp convert bug?

Post by magick »

Try this command:
  • convert file.jpg bmp3:file.bmp
rjoyal

Re: jpg -> bmp convert bug?

Post by rjoyal »

That worked.
Thanks a bunch!
(and fast response too!) :D

Any idea why it would only do this on 4 of 900+ jpegs?
What's interesting is they are pics originally taken by my buddy's camera and saved on a Mac... but I'm sure I resized and cropped them on my PC using either convert or xnview.