using EXIF profile for cmyk convertion?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
blahor

using EXIF profile for cmyk convertion?

Post by blahor »

hi everybody,

i'm wondering if it's possible to use the EXIF profile to convert a jpg image to CMYK. it doesn't work here so i'm wondering if it's just my imagemagick version?

i tried:

Code: Select all

convert foo.jpg -profile cmyk.icc bar.jpg
unfortunately the resulting image isn't cmyk.

the only way it works here is:

convert foo.jpg +profile icm -profile rgb.icc -profile cmyk.icc bar.jpg
or:

convert foo.jpg -strip -profile rgb.icc -profile cmyk.icc bar.jpg
i have to process images from a lot of different cameras, so i'm a bit afraid i will get wrong colors by using a default rgb profile for all images.
magick
Site Admin

Re: using EXIF profile for cmyk convertion?

Post by magick »

Can you post a URL to one of your images so we can determine where the profile is embedded in your image and if ImageMagick detects it and extracts it properly.
blahor

Post by blahor »

for testing i've just used a picture take with my eos400d: http://fraglab.at/tmp/IMG_0039.JPG

and i think im does find the profile:

$ identify -verbose IMG_0039.JPG | grep 'Profile*'
  Profile-exif: 17638 bytes
the convertion fails though:

$ convert IMG_0039.JPG -profile USWebCoatedSWOP.icc test.jpg

$ identify -verbose test.jpg | grep 'Color*'
  Type: TrueColor
  Colorspace: RGB
  Colors: 583320
  JPEG-Colorspace: 2
    Color Space: 1
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Just checking. You do know that an EXIF profile is not a color profile. Recent versions of ImageMagick assume a sRGB color profile if EXIF indicates it otherwise there would be no color profile associated with the JPEG image unless the profile is explicitly included with the image.
blahor

Post by blahor »

magick wrote:Just checking. You do know that an EXIF profile is not a color profile. Recent versions of ImageMagick assume a sRGB color profile if EXIF indicates it otherwise there would be no color profile associated with the JPEG image unless the profile is explicitly included with the image.
actually i didn't know that. makes sense now, thx a lot.