Why was 6.4.0-11 rerolled?

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
mi

Why was 6.4.0-11 rerolled?

Post by mi »

Hello!

I upgraded FreeBSD port of ImageMagick to 6.4.0-11 recently, but this morning a user notified me, that the distribution file on your FTP-site no longer matches the size and the checksums I worked with.

Indeed, the file appears to have been rerolled and the differences are non-trivial.

In addition to older (prior to 2006) entries getting stripped out of ChangeLog, it appears, the destination of the header-files is again /usr/local/include, instead of the /usr/local/include/ImageMagick.

Is this true? We at the FreeBSD have just gone through a (fairly painful) process of updating the myriad of ports, which depend on ImageMagick, to change their -I flags to the ImageMagick subdirectory. Do we really have to flip them around again?

In any case, please, never replace the versioned distribution file once it is officially out of the beta/
magick
Site Admin

Re: Why was 6.4.0-11 rerolled?

Post by magick »

We cannot reproduce the header path problem. The ImageMagick 6.4.0-11 headers are in /usr/local/include/ImageMagick as expected.

You are of course right about rerolling. We updated the distribution on the development machine with the wrong version # and it was mirrored to the production machine and a number of hours went by before we detected the problem-- too late to revert to the previous version.
mi

Post by mi »

Could this new one be renamed into 6.4.0-12 and the previous 6.4.0-11 reinstated? Thanks!
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

The original problem was that 6.4.0-11 had one major flaw: -fx returned a parse error. Because the original 6.4.0-11 has this flaw, we'd prefer not to restore it. In the mean-time we're adding a regression test to the ImageMagick test suite to ensure this flaw does not happen again.
mi

Post by mi »

Then the new release should've been made into 6.4.0-12 -- and no other unrelated changes should've found its way into it.

In addition to the bug-fix you describe (with -fx), between the "bad" and the "good" instances of 6.4.0-11 not only did vast changes to Makefiles and ChangeLog take place, but colors.xml moved from

Code: Select all

lib/ImageMagick-%%PORTVERSION%%/config/
to

Code: Select all

share/ImageMagick-%%PORTVERSION%%/config/

ImageMagick's disregard for backwards compatibility is already quite infamous :(. You really ought to work on reducing, rather than increasing that perception...