no decode delegate for this image format

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
sim123

no decode delegate for this image format

Post by sim123 »

Hello,

I am very new to ImageMagick (started from this monday) so please bare with me, I installed ImageMagick-6.4.5 and Jmagick on Mac os x and finally got successful installation, I tried converting logo.gif to different formats (like jpeg/ png/ jpg) etc and all worked as expected. However when I try to convert different images (one taken from my web cam) or other big size images stored on my machine I get as error saying "no decode delegate for this image format"

Image name is "DSC02049.JPG" image type is JPEG Image , image size on disk is 2.3MB and Image Dimensions are 2592*1944

Even Display command does not work and throw same decode delegate exception. I have no idea why is it os or where to look for. Please help.

Thanks for all the help and support.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: no decode delegate for this image format

Post by fmw42 »

sim123 wrote:Hello,

I am very new to ImageMagick (started from this monday) so please bare with me, I installed ImageMagick-6.4.5 and Jmagick on Mac os x and finally got successful installation, I tried converting logo.gif to different formats (like jpeg/ png/ jpg) etc and all worked as expected. However when I try to convert different images (one taken from my web cam) or other big size images stored on my machine I get as error saying "no decode delegate for this image format"

Image name is "DSC02049.JPG" image type is JPEG Image , image size on disk is 2.3MB and Image Dimensions are 2592*1944

Even Display command does not work and throw same decode delegate exception. I have no idea why is it os or where to look for. Please help.

You may need to install other image type delegate libraries. For example if this is a JPG2000 image you will need the jasper library. See http://www.imagemagick.org/download/delegates/
sim123

Post by sim123 »

Thanks for reply, I looked a the link and downloaded jasper library, just wanted to know a basic thing that where should this library go? Do I need to do configure/ make/ make install on it and put it in my imagemagick installation location?

I installed imagemagick from source as per these instructions :
http://thereformed.org/2008/10/10/insta ... -mac-os-x/

Thanks for all the help and support
sim123

Post by sim123 »

I installed jasper libraries and it is on my /usr/local/bin location. and installation is successful, I am still getting same error while I try to access JPEG/ JPG files. please help.

Thanks.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

sim123 wrote:I installed jasper libraries and it is on my /usr/local/bin location. and installation is successful, I am still getting same error while I try to access JPEG/ JPG files. please help.

Thanks.

Sorry, thats about all I know. Hopefully Anthony or Magick can help further. To see what IM delegates you have please report on what you get from the following at the DELEGATES line

convert -list configure

Mine for example show:

DELEGATES bzlib fontconfig freetype gs jpeg jp2 lcms lqr openexr png tiff x11 xml zlib

from IM 6.4.4-10

I am having trouble getting a good install from IM 6.4.5-0 on Max OSX Tiger. So I am not quite on the latest version, but close.

What version do you have installed. The above will tell you at the LIB_VERSION_NUMBER line.
sim123

Post by sim123 »

Thanks for the response, here is the output

DELEGATES bzlib freetype png x11 xml zlib
LIB_VERSION 0x645
LIB_VERSION_NUMBER 6,4,5,0

and it seems I do not have jpeg decoder, but strange thing is I could perform all jpeg/jpg conversion operations on logo or ichat icons stored in my macbook!!

Thanks for the help, I appreciate your support.
sim123

Post by sim123 »

I tried installing all delegates which have jpeg/jpg in name but no luck, can some one please help me with this issue.

fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

sim123 wrote:I tried installing all delegates which have jpeg/jpg in name but no luck, can some one please help me with this issue.

Did you recompile IM after compiling all the delegates?
sim123

Post by sim123 »

Thank you sooooooooo much, I got it working, my delegates list tells

DELEGATES bzlib freetype jpeg jp2 png x11 xml zlib

so if want to provide a decoder for tiff images i could do it same way, right?

again thanks a ton for this help, I appreciate it very much.
shafique

Post by shafique »

Can you give detailed instructions on how you go this working (the jpeg library)? I'm trying to compile from source on fedora 6 (using network solutions vps) so I can't use the binaries; but it doesn't do jpegs when I install from source. How do I configure IM to use the jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz library? Thanks!
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

shafique wrote:Can you give detailed instructions on how you go this working (the jpeg library)? I'm trying to compile from source on fedora 6 (using network solutions vps) so I can't use the binaries; but it doesn't do jpegs when I install from source. How do I configure IM to use the jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz library? Thanks!
I know nothing about installing on Linux. I am on a Mac. But I installed jpg from libjpeg-6b.tar.gz (decompress, ./configure, make, make install). Follow the INSTALL notes in the decompressed folder. After installing, re-install IM.

Sorry that is the best I can do. Hopefully a Linux guru can shed more light on using RPM or some such package to install.

delegates are located here http://www.imagemagick.org/download/delegates/
shafique

Post by shafique »

Hey, thanks for the repy. I spent two days working on this, and finally got it working! For others that are having trouble getting the jpeg library installed on IM, here's what I did:

1. download and install jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz. put it into some directory, cd into that directory, do the tar thing:

Code: Select all

tar xvfz jp*
2. I got valuable info from this page: http://www.noah.org/wiki/Jpegsrc_64
you have to tell jpeg-6b where you want to put the libraries and also copy some files because I'm using an x86_64 machine. Here are the commands I used:
(I'm installing into a directory called /root/jpeg-6b)

cp /usr/lib/rpm/config.guess /root/jp*/
cp /usr/lib/rpm/config.sub /root/jp*/
./configure --enable-shared
make libdir=/usr/lib64
make libdir=/usr/lib64 install
so that takes care of the jpeg libraries. Actually, I had them installed already, so none of this was necessary.
3. What is necessary is that I had to tell IM where the libraries are located: /usr/lib64. So here's how I configured and compiled IM:

./configure --enable-shared=yes --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --without-perl
I don't know whether the --without-perl option is necessary, but I saw it on a site someplace so I thought I might use it.

make
make install
Then cd into the utilities folder to get access to the convert command, and test it. It worked for me.

Good luck everyone,
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I am on Mac OSX Tiger and install manually, no MacPorts or Fink, so I am not sure how best to help. But my procedure is to

download the latest IM source code version
decompress it
put it somewhere in my home directory
cd to the IM source code folder
issue ./configure
(actually I use
./configure --enable-delegate-build --enable-shared --disable-static \
--with-modules --with-quantum-depth=16 --without-wmf \
--enable-libtool-verbose --disable-dependency-tracking \
--with-gs-font-dir=/usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts/ --with-lqr
)
make
sudo make install

Further details of my efforts at first to get IM and delegates compiled can be found at
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10442