Make colors more dark and vivid

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
kriko

Make colors more dark and vivid

Post by kriko »

Last time I was asking about colorizing images and I found a perfect solution to my problem, like this:

Code: Select all

for i in * ; do convert $i -colorspace gray -fill "rgb(140,0,14)" -tint 80 $i; done;
However in some cases is not enough, sometimes I run into situation where I would like to add more
intensiveness to my images.
In above example I change colour of images to wine-red, however they are too bright and washed-out,
this is the result:

I would like it to be more intensive, like this:

I'm not familiar with graphic operations, so I don't even know what kind of operation I should apply to get this
kind of effect at the end - I already tried to play with intensify, but the results were horrible.
rmagick

Re: Make colors more dark and vivid

Post by rmagick »

Check out the -modulate option. I used -modulate to change your image to something very similar to the one you posted. This command simply reduces the brightness of the input image to 80% of its original value and leaves the saturation and hue unchanged. I'm sure you could come closer with a little trial and error.

convert test.png -modulate 80,100,100 output.png

Here's the result:

Here's a Wikipedia article that explains brightness, saturation, and hue much better than I could: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV