Can't run Fred's texteffect script

A plethora of command-line scripts that perform geometric transforms, blurs, sharpens, edging, noise removal, and color manipulations.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Can't run Fred's texteffect script

Post by fmw42 »

You probably need to change the permission on the script file to executable. Also make sure the directory has reasonable permissions to get to the script and images that are created.

chmod u+x texteffect
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

sh ./texteffect.sh -t \" hello\" -s outline -e arc-top -a 60 -f arial.ttf -p 48 -c black -b yellow -o black -l 1 -u yellow text.jpg 2>&1

i have used this command in command shell.itz giving the error
NO OUTPUT FILE SPECIFIED.
i have written the same code in cygwin in windows environment.itz saying--
convert.exe:unable to open image 'hello':no such file or directory @ blob.c/open blob/2489
convert.exe:missing an image filename:'./texteffect_0_717.mpc' @convert.c/convertimagecommand 2774
FILE HELLO DOES NOT EXIST OR IS NOT AN ORDINARY FILE ,NOT READABLE OR HAS ZERO SIZE.

these are the errors in cygwin which is almost similar to the error i have seen when trying to run in my server.
The server is Linux(Apache/1.3.41 Server) .

is my server outdated?i have found these in apache server site about apache 1.3 release.what does it mean?
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR APACHE USERS: Apache 1.3 was designed for Unix OS variants. While the ports to non-Unix platforms (such as Win32, Netware or OS2) will function for some applications, Apache 1.3 is not designed for these platforms. Apache 2 was designed from the ground up for security, stability, or performance issues across all modern operating systems. Users of any non-Unix ports are strongly cautioned to move to Apache 2.

The Apache project no longer distributes non-Unix platform binaries from the main download pages for Apache 1.3. If absolutely necessary, a binary may be available at http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/.
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

chmod u+x texteffect
You probably need to change the permission on the script file to executable. Also make sure the directory has reasonable permissions to get to the script and images that are created.

i have changed the permission to 775 to the texteffect.sh.and even i have tried using the texteffect octate-stram changing itz permission also.

can you explain chmod u+x
what is u and x. i am quite new in linux and also in server environment.my code was-
sh ./texteffect.sh -t \" hello\" -s outline -e arc-top -a 60 -f arial -p 48 -c black -b yellow -o black -l 1 -u yellow text.jpg 2>&1
**the main problem is this code is not creating any text.jpg file in the working directory..so that i cant show that image .
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

i have understood chmod u+x
but now my server is showing blank image.
itz not creating any text.jpg in the directory.
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

the errors are again given below-

Array
(
[0] => convert: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': Permission denied.
[1] => identify: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': No such file or directory.
[2] => identify: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': No such file or directory.
[3] => convert: invalid argument for option `x': -size.
[4] => identify: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': No such file or directory.
[5] => identify: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': No such file or directory.
[6] => convert: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': No such file or directory.
[7] => convert: unrecognized option `-distort'.
[8] => convert: unable to open image `./texteffect_0_6897.miff': No such file or directory.
[9] => convert: missing an image filename `text.jpg'.
)

?>

why?????????????????????????????
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Looks like a permissions problem in creating images in that directory, especially the temporaries.

There is a line in the script near the top under the comments and under the defaults that sets the temporary directory.

Change this line:

# set directory for temporary files
dir="." # suggestions are dir="." or dir="/tmp"

To

# set directory for temporary files
dir="tmp" # suggestions are dir="." or dir="/tmp"

and see if that helps any. Otherwise check the permissions of the directory where you are creating the output image and make sure it allows you to write to it.
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

ya you are right.the text.jpg is not being created .but why ?the directory is not permitting to create?but is there any this type of permission?in which place of the texteffect file i am creating the text.jpg file in my directory.is there any problem there?
one thing i have tried.i created a text.jpg .gave it permission to be written by public so that it can be overwritten.but it didn't work.
and sometimes i am seeing another error: convert:'-distort' unrecognized.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

what version of IM are you using? it may be too old to use -distort. upgrade your version of IM.

What are the permissions of the directory you are writing your images to? It must be write enabled.

Also remove the "2>&1" at the end. That is only needed when trying to get the help information from

texteffect -h 2>&1

If you are trying to get an output image then remove the 2>&1

texteffect ....arguments... output.jpg
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

NOTE output.jpg can also be a things like JPG:-
which outputs the image as JPG to STDOUT, and to the web client (you need to set the output header right for this. See PHP examples is IM examples, API, PHP
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/api/#php

Also see Rubble Web, whcih is devoted to Command line IM from PHP
http://www.rubblewebs.co.uk./imagemagic ... xplain.php
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

yap now i have become able to create an image.with jpg:- and the header file .herez my code-
<?php
header('Content-Type: image/jpeg');
$text="hello";
if($text=="")
$text="Enter Some Text";
system(" sh ./texteffect.sh -t \" $text \" -s outline".
" -e arc-top -a 60 -f arial.ttf -p 48 -c green".
" -b yellow -o black -l 1 -u yellow".
" jpg:-" );
?>

but my problem is not solved .now the text is a simple straight line text.but it should be circular.
i have tried some other scripts from http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/fonts/#advanced
but while using those scripts itz showing the scriot adress and the title bar of the browser is showing that itz a jpeg .but no picture.
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

i got the version and location of imagick-
Version: ImageMagick 6.2.8 04/17/08 Q16
file:/usr/share/ImageMagick-6.2.8/doc/index.html
convert-location:/usr/bin/convert
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2006 ImageMagick Studio LLC

but why is the scripts are not running proerly?
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Your IM version is too old (250 versions old). -distort arc was not introduced until 6.3.5-5. You badly need to upgrade your version of IM.
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

can i convert fred's texteffect as a windows batch file?
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

brishtiteveja wrote:can i convert fred's texteffect as a windows batch file?
Not easily as it is extremely long with many options. Furthermore, unix does not go well over to DOS. You will need the equivalent of Unix awk, grep and sed, etc for DOS. But you can try.

See http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/windows/

But it won't change the fact that you need a more current IM!
brishtiteveja

Post by brishtiteveja »

my server gyes said they have upgraded it upto 6.3.2.
will it work for me?

when i am running the texteffect codes in the command shell in my windows pc--
bash ./texteffect.sh -t \"SOME PLAIN TEXT\" -s outline -e pinch -d 0.9 -f Times-Roman -p 48 -c skyblue -b white -o black -l 1 -u lightpink text.jpg

itz showing the following errors. i have installed bc. i have also SED installed.

the imagemagick codes (e.g. convert) is working properly.but only i cant run the fred's script.
i have read all the instructions usage /windows from imagemagick.org.but cant help it out.

The errors--
Array
(
[0] => ./texteffect.sh: line 337: bc: command not found
[1] => ./texteffect.sh: line 338: bc: command not found
[2] => ./texteffect.sh: line 339: [: too many arguments
[3] => ./texteffect.sh: line 252: bc: command not found
[4] => ./texteffect.sh: line 253: [: -eq: unary operator expected
[5] => ./texteffect.sh: line 327: bc: command not found
[6] => ./texteffect.sh: line 328: [: -eq: unary operator expected

integer return required.