High-bit YUV input no longer working?

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
foxyshadis
Authentication code: 8675308

High-bit YUV input no longer working?

Post by foxyshadis »

I've just started using the 16-bit functionality of a video encoder I'm testing out. Unfortunately, it looks like IM can't read the 16-bit files that it outputs.

My command lines:

Code: Select all

convert -size 1280x1264 -depth 8 -sampling-factor 4:2:0 out.yuv out.png
convert -size 1280x1264 -depth 16 -sampling-factor 4:2:0 out.yuv -depth 8 out.png
Both of them give identical PNGs, which are called out-1.png and out-2.png, down to the MD5, both all green and ugly.

Just for testing, this command line:

Code: Select all

convert -size 1280x1264 -depth 16 -sampling-factor 4:2:0 out.yuv out.png
Creates a PNG identified as 16-bit that opens in photoshop & xnview looking the same as the 8-bit, so it's definitely an input, not an output problem at all.

I would expect that -depth 16 would look radically different from -depth 8 when used on the raw input, and preferably the expected input image. (I'm not 100% sure that it's not 10- or 12-bit, but I can't test it like this.)

Using another tool, I was able to open and see the results, but it's a very inconvenient GUI tool.

I've tested 6.6.7.1 and 6.6.7.5, both x64 Q16, and both give identical output.