6.6.8: Cannot convert postscript: delegate failed

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
wealthychef

6.6.8: Cannot convert postscript: delegate failed

Post by wealthychef »

I just installed version 6.6.8-4 on our linux (RHEL 5) compute nodes and it seems to have a bug in converting postscript *.ps files. Other conversions seem to work fine, and all 48 tests passed when I ran "make check." However, while convert will convert from gif to ps, it will not convert ps files to other formats. Example:

rcook@edge83 (dataAndImages): convert paper.ps paper.gif
CRIT: rangecheck in .setuserparams
Operand stack:
--nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval--
Operand stack:
convert: Postscript delegate failed `paper.ps': @ error/ps.c/ReadPSImage/806.
convert: missing an image filename `paper.gif' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2974.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this? Thanks! I'm clueless about the intricacies of ImageMagick configuration. The previous version "just worked." I use an install script and did the same install as before. It seems like a bug in 6.6.8 perhaps. Version 6.5.7, compiled identically, works correctly. 6.6.7 also does not work. I've looked at delegates.xml but don't see any differences. I just don't know what to do next.
Help!
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: 6.6.8: Cannot convert postscript: delegate failed

Post by fmw42 »

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18289#p70099 as my best guess as what might be wrong.
wealthychef

Post by wealthychef »

I notice that 6.4.9 sets --with-gslib=yes, but the configure script for 6.6.8 sets --with-gslib=no. This is on the same machine.
I tried configuring version 6.6.8 with --with-gslib=yes, and installing even though "make check" fails.
I now see this:

rcook@edge84 (ImageMagick-6.6.8-4): convert -list configure | grep DELEG
DELEGATES bzlib fftw fontconfig freetype gs gvc jpeg jng jp2 lcms mpeg png rsvg tiff x11 xml wmf zlib
rcook@edge84 (ImageMagick-6.6.8-4): convert ~/dataAndImages/paper.ps paper.pdf
Operand stack:
Operand stack:
convert: Postscript delegate failed `/g/g0/rcook/dataAndImages/paper.ps': @ error/ps.c/ReadPSImage/806.
convert: missing an image filename `paper.pdf' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2974.
wealthychef

Post by wealthychef »

I see the problem. It looks like version 6.6.8 wants a newer version of ghostscript, and fails with the old version. Version 6.4.9 seems ok with the older ghostcript. Mystery solved.
Thanks!