artifacts on extracted alpha channel, dds format

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
Tosyk
Authentication code: 67789

artifacts on extracted alpha channel, dds format

Post by Tosyk »

Hello everyone.
My ver. of convert.exe is 6.7.9-4 Q16 and i'm on Window 7 x64

My command string is:

Code: Select all

convert Tex_0807_4.dds -channel rgba -separate +channel -swap 1,3 +delete -combine -channel B -evaluate set 100% +channel -colorspace sRGB Tex_0807_4_swap.png
When i'm trying to do operations (-separate, -combine etc) with alpha channel where the input format is .dds i gets artifacts every single time like on this picture (it's a copy of alpha channel from Alpha to Green):

BUT, if i'm useing other input formats like .tga or .bmp it's working fine and without any issue.

Here is experimental image

Topic where i get this issue is here
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: artifacts on extracted alpha channel, dds format

Post by anthony »

This is a repeat of my post from the original topic

It looks like cell bit order was reversed. Perhaps the alpha channel is not being decoded in-correctly for .dds files

Alpha is hard to see, and it may have slipped under the radar, by the developer of that codec.

But as it seems to be different for different machines. The next thing to try is turning off any multi-threading (on both computers). That can cause weird randomizations when something goes wrong.

If that fails, then it either delegate library, or some OS/Processor specific fault, though that last is unlikely.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
Tosyk
Authentication code: 67789

Post by Tosyk »

anthony wrote:Thye look like cell bit order was reversed. Perhaps the alpha channel is not being decoded in-correctly for .dds files
Alpha is hard to see, and it may have slipped under the radar, by the developer of that codec.
thank for looking into my issue :D
anthony wrote:turning off any multi-threading
how to do that? it's a grapphic card or windows?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

I do not know if this works on Windows, but the easiest way for a simple command line test to turn off threading can be found at

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20756&p=83407&hilit=thread#p83407