Windows Binary Releases Differences

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Bunkai.Satori
Authentication code: 8675308

Windows Binary Releases Differences

Post by Bunkai.Satori »

Dear all,

I do not want to be quessing, but would exactly need to understand the differences between the various Binary Releases available. Can you help me to clarify the following points please:

• If I use Windows 7 64bit and want to include ImageMagick into my C++ application, which Release of Image Magick should I install? My application should work with 32bit OS as well, and if possible I would like to avoid attaching Image Magick .dlls to my application, so logically static libray linkage should be used.
  • Looking at available binay releases, I downloaded "ImageMagick-6.6.4-9-Q16-windows-static.exe", but it contains no .libs for static linkage. Was this forgotten? How to use this release to statically link it to my application?
  • In case I simply have to use dynamic library release "ImageMagick-6.6.4-9-Q16-windows-dll.exe"", which are the absolutely needed .dlls that must be delivered with my application, please?
  • Are x64 releases backward compatible with x86 (Win32)? I assume no, but I would like to be sure.

Thank you,
Best Regards.