Help! Unins000.dat missing!

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Nene
Authentication code: 8675308

Help! Unins000.dat missing!

Post by Nene »

I no longer have use for Imagemagick, and I went to uninstall it, but it won't let me!
Unins000.dat is missing, and I can't find the old (executable) file for the version I can't remove!
The version is 6.6.9-8 and I can't find it anywhere and I don't know what to do with a .zip file and the .zip file doesn't contain the file I need to uninstall this program.
whugemann
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Help! Unins000.dat missing!

Post by whugemann »

Unins000.dat is the uninstall file of Inno Setup (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php), which is a free installer for Windows programs, so I assume you are using IM under Windows. You can uninstall IM but just deleting its program folder tree; AFAIK there are no files in other locations.

There are, however, several entries in the Registry, found at

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\imdisplay.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magick.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImageMagick
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\ImageMagick x.x.x
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\ImageMagick x.x.x
With some of these values mirrored under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Basically, you can leave these as they are. Your Registry (like any other) will already contain a lot of waste entries, so don't care.

Furthermore, the environment variable PATH has been extrended with IM's installation path (by default). (First path in the total string.)

You can also re-install the old version, if you still have the installation file, and then uninstall it again. In regard to most registry entries, the installation of the current version in the same location (i.,e. over the old version) and de-installation should also delete the entries.
Wolfgang Hugemann