problem building PythonMagick-0.7 on feisty (ubuntu)

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
caviar

problem building PythonMagick-0.7 on feisty (ubuntu)

Post by caviar »

Hi,

I would love to get PythonMagick running on feisty. So, from source I have built the following (in /usr/local):

python-2.5.1
ImageMagick-6.3.5
boost_1_34_1
PythonMagick-0.7

One problem:
getting PythonMagick to run ./configure correctly. It seems it doesn't find any boost libraries it likes. But, according to boost and boost tests, the boost libs are fine (in /usr/local/lib)
I really had to fool with environment flags, etc., to get PythonMagick to build - which it finally did. But I am not sure it is right.

Two subsequent problems:

1. When I run python, and try to "import PythonMagick", I get a "ImportError: No module named _PythonMagick". The is very perplexing, for clearly there is a _PythonMagick.so contained in the site-packages/PythonMagick directory.

2. If I actually cd to that directory, and then run python and do an import, I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PythonMagick/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
import _PythonMagick
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PythonMagick/_PythonMagick.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK5boost6python7objects21py_function_impl_base9max_arityEv

It obviously isn't finding the boost library (or wasn't linked to it correctly).

Any ideas on how to fix? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks alot.
mikew

Re: problem building PythonMagick-0.7 on feisty (ubuntu)

Post by mikew »

did you check the output of ./configure?
i use

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python-2.5 --with-boost=/usr/include/boost --with-boost-python=boost_python CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/python-2.5/include/python2.5
make sure you can see these from output

checking boost/python.hpp usability... yes
checking boost/python.hpp presence... yes
checking for boost/python.hpp... yes
checking for Usable Boost::Python library... -lboost_python
other buildings
build python 2.5.1

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python-2.5 --enable-shared --enable-unicode=ucs4
and i installed Magick++ thru yum, and install boost-1.34 use rpm

#yum install ImageMagick-devel ImageMagick-c++ ImageMagick-c++-devel 
#rpm -ivh boost-1.34.1-2.fc8.i386.rpm
#rpm -ivh boost-devel-1.34.1-2.fc8.i386.rpm
i am new to imagemagick, just install it succesfully . hope this helpfull
mikew

Re: problem building PythonMagick-0.7 on feisty (ubuntu)

Post by mikew »

I don't have a MAC, but from the output seems you didn't installed boost headers or installed in a non-standard path.
1.try to install a boost develop package(name is boost1.34-devel.python25?) if have
2.find where the boost header files are, and use --with-boost=/path/to/boostheaders
i am a newbie, correct me if i was wrong,hope this will help