convert PDF highres to PDF lowres file

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
mhoehn@hotmail.de
Authentication code: 8675309

convert PDF highres to PDF lowres file

Post by mhoehn@hotmail.de »

Im looking for a solution to convert highres PDF files to lowres PDF files. It should preservere PDF contents like fonts, vector objecs and images without rasterizing it. My objective is to get images downsampled from eg. 300 dpi to 72 dpi if they're CMYK or RGB or grayscale and downsample bitmap from eg. 1200 dpi to 300 dpi. It would be helpful if I could convert CMYK images to RGB usig ICC profiles, too. Is ImageMagick or ghostscript the right solution for this? If not, is there any command line based tool available (open source or license)?
whugemann
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: convert PDF highres to PDF lowres file

Post by whugemann »

IM is not the right tool to do this. The easiest way to perform this task is to print the PDF via a PDF printer driver set to low resolution. This will leave vector objects and fonts untouched an re-calculate any raster graphics.

Wolfgang Hugemann
Wolfgang Hugemann