Win 8 installation: convert not recognised

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
kge
Authentication code: 6789

Win 8 installation: convert not recognised

Post by kge »

I installed on my Win 8 machine ImageMagick (from the 6.8.6-Q16 installer) but convert is not recognised on the command line. Instead Windows own convert program is called. I tried to put the Imagemagick path in front of the path environment variable, but to no avail. On an old XP machine I had no such trouble. I know I could write the whole path for convert, but I do not want that.

Calling:
where convert
returns the Windows System path only, nothing else.

Any suggestions?
indiego
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Win 8 installation: convert not recognised

Post by indiego »

I use Redmond Path to edit the $PATH environment variable on Windows. Only one file, no installation needed.

http://redmondlab.reachby.com/g2gz5/redmond-path-v-1-0
kge

Post by kge »

I did use this tool. But it didn't show anything unexpected. The IM directory is in the beginning of the path (top in the list of redmond-path). In cmd line it's like below. note that system32 is after IM! Still calling convert calls the windows convert not the IM one. BTW where is the windows version of the linux which command.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\ConEmu>set path
Path=C:\Program Files\ConEmu\ConEmu;C:\Program Files\ConEmu;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.8.6-Q16;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x64;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\ExpressCache\;C:\Program Files\Lenovo Fingerprint Reader\;C:\Program Files\Lenovo Fingerprint Reader\x86\;C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\ReadyApps;C:\Program Files (x86)\Heroku\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\git\cmd;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.8.6-Q16;C:\RailsInstaller\Git\cmd;C:\RailsInstaller\Ruby1.9.3\bin;"C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2";C:\Users\kostas\AppData\Roaming\npm
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

C:\Program Files\ConEmu>convert
Must specify a file system

C:\Program Files\ConEmu>where convert
C:\Windows\System32\convert.exe
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

I've never used Windows 8, and don't know how it differs from 7. Some obvious things to try:

Does convert.exe exist in C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.8.6-Q16?

Can you run "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.8.6-Q16\convert.exe"?

If you rename convert.exe to imconvert.exe, does it run then?
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We run Windows 8 and the ImageMagick installation works for us-- that is after the install, the ImageMagick convert command runs from the command line.
kge

Post by kge »

Thanks guys for pointing out the obvious choices! Indeed convert.exe did not exist, but somehow was renamed im-convert.exe. I ununstalled and reinstalled, and convert works now (convert wizard: wizard.jpg). However, the other suggested test of the installation (convert wizard.jpg win:) fails with the following error:

C:\Users\kostas\Documents>convert wizard.jpg win:
convert.exe: Embedded profile length too large in iCCP chunk `C:/Users/kostas/AppData/Local/Temp/magick-1148o-y2QjQ_tpOb' @ warning/png.c/MagickPNGWarningHandler/1830.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

The "win:" feature has been broken for ages. You can probably fix it, if you want, by changing the entry in delegates.xml.

(This issue keeps coming up. The developers might want to either fix "win:" or remove it from the confidence test.)
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
kge

Post by kge »

I suggest you simply remove it from the test that is described.