How much memory?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
aporthog
Authentication code: 13

How much memory?

Post by aporthog »

If I could tack on my own question to this topic - I'm setting up a Linux Redhat Virtual machine dedicated to image processing with IM and I'm wondering how much memory I should ask for. I don't want to ask for an outrageous amount but since I'm not very experienced with Linux I'm not sure what a good amount would be. Right now IM is sometimes failing to convert files and I've also had to add a line of code to delete files from /tmp periodically within my loops. /tmp files are on average 2GB each. Symptoms are out of diskspace errors and also some jpegs only come out half converted (top half is fine, bottom half is gray) with no error message. So I'm running out of memory and swap space (and wondering why IM isn't cleaning up after itself):

Code: Select all

[root@vm137 ~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           996        755        240          0        130        297
-/+ buffers/cache:        327        668
Swap:         3675          0       3675
It'll mostly be converting and resizing tiffs to jpegs. The tiffs are on average 150-200 MB, a few much larger.

Right now I'm using ImageMagick 6.5.4-7 2014-01-30 Q16 because that was what was available through yum but I want to upgrade to the latest Q8 version. I don't want to ask for more memory or space than IM can actually use. So what are some good starting specs?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: How to improve processing time ??

Post by fmw42 »

You should really have started a new topic. Please do so next time.

I do not know how relevant these numbers are to your situation, but see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26801
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: How to improve processing time ??

Post by snibgo »

As your question isn't relevant to the original question, I'm moving it to a new topic.
aporthog wrote:The tiffs are on average 150-200 MB, a few much larger.
Size on disk isn't important. Size in memory is, and that is determined by the number of pixels. Q16 takes 8 bytes/pixel for each image in memory.

IM does clean up after itself, provided it completes normally. If it is killed, it will leave files lying around.

Sorry, I can't make specific suggestions, except to say that I found 4 GB on Windows 7 wasn't enough for me, but 12 GB on Windows 8.1 is.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com