Erasing a region of an image only if it contains more than a certain proportion of a specified colour.

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Crane
Authentication code: 1151

Erasing a region of an image only if it contains more than a certain proportion of a specified colour.

Post by Crane »

Using: ImageMagick 7.0.5-3 Q16 x64 2017-03-18
On Windows 7, via the CMD prompt.

I have some manga pages I have scanned, and I want to be able to crop them as a batch.
However, at the top corner of some pages is a "read this way" marker (in case you're not used to those wacky foreigners and their right-to-left layouts).
The presence of this makes auto-cropping based on colour impossible. I can't simply crop by size, because some pages have artwork that goes right to the edge of the paper, without margins.

What I would like to do is examine a specific region of the image (the marker is always in roughly the same place), and -- if and only if that region is mostly black -- fill it with white. Or better, erase the entire horizontal field that it overlaps with.

The images are in .jpg format, if that's relevant.
Bonzo

Re: Erasing a region of an image only if it contains more than a certain proportion of a specified colour.

Post by Bonzo »

Probably best to upload an image somewhere and link to it here as it may lead to a better answer.

You probably do not need the whole image but the marker and a reasonable area around it.
Crane

Re: Erasing a region of an image only if it contains more than a certain proportion of a specified colour.

Post by Crane »

The top part of an image with the marker in question:

I can't simply blindly crop the whole top margin, because some pages have art going all the way to the edge.
My hope is that if I could simply define the region which contains the mark, check whether or not it has a certain percentage of black pixels, then write over it with white, I could then just autocrop the whitespace, since that works fine for pages which don't have that mark.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

Is

Read
This
Way

always the same size and font?
Crane

Post by Crane »

Yes, modulo the usual imprecisions of scanning.
It's also always in the same location relative to the actual panels too, though of course this doesn't mean exactly the same X/Y coordinates on each image.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

You could create a small image containing those words by cropping from one image. Then use compare to locate that template in your images. If found in a reasonable place and with a good enough metric, you can shave off to the bottom of the match area in height. See the -subimage-search option with compare.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/compare.php
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/compare/
Crane

Post by Crane »

I did try running a subimage compare, and it appeared to just hang. When I looked it up, I found that this apparently takes a very long time? I've got hundreds of pages I want to run through this, so I'd prefer something quicker...
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

If you are on Unix (Linux, Mac OSX, Windows with Cygwin or Windows 10 unix), then you can try my script normcrosscorr or rmsecorr. They are about a hundred times faster. see http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/ ... /index.php or http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/ ... /index.php. If you use normcrosscorr, then the test must be close to 1 rather than close to 0. But my scripts require HDRI mode for IM.

Here is a bash Unix shell script script that does what you want using compare.

Input:

Template (size = 34x38):

Code: Select all

theight=38
thresh=0.01
infile="R2rmWqk.jpg"
data=`compare -metric rmse -subimage-search $infile template.png null: 2>&1 | tr -cs "0-9." " "`
val=`echo "$data" | cut -d\  -f2`
yoff=`echo "$data" | cut -d\  -f4`
test=`echo "scale=6; $val < $thresh" | bc`
if [ $test -eq 1 ]; then
ht=$((yoff+theight))
convert $infile -gravity north -chop 0x$ht result.jpg
fi
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Crane wrote:However, at the top corner of some pages is a "read this way" marker ...
The search time can be reduced be searching only, say, the top 100 rows of the input image.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Crane

Post by Crane »

I can't get the -region command to work, no matter what I try. This is part of why I came here asking for advice.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Crane wrote: 2017-03-24T11:20:58-07:00 I can't get the -region command to work, no matter what I try. This is part of why I came here asking for advice.
Why -region? Just crop the top of the image as your input.

theight=38
thresh=0.01
infile="R2rmWqk.jpg"
data=`compare -metric rmse -subimage-search ${infile}[x75+0+0] template.png null: 2>&1 |\
     tr -cs "0-9." " "`
val=`echo "$data" | cut -d\  -f2`
yoff=`echo "$data" | cut -d\  -f4`
if [ $test -eq 1 ]; then
ht=$((yoff+theight))
convert $infile -gravity north -chop 0x$ht result.jpg
fi
If you want to use my rmsecorr script, then it would be (using HDRI):

theight=38
thresh=0.01
data=`rmsecorr template.png  R2rmWqk.jpg null: 2>&1 | tr -cs "0-9." " "`
val=`echo "$data" | cut -d\  -f5`
yoff=`echo "$data" | cut -d\  -f2`
if [ $test -eq 1 ]; then
ht=$((yoff+theight))
convert R2rmWqk.jpg -gravity north -chop 0x$ht result2.jpg
fi
Crane

Post by Crane »

Right, okay.
I can't even persuade ImageMagick to work at all under Cygwin.
Thank you very much for trying, but I'm done with this.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

You can recode my commands in Windows bat syntax and use just the top of the image for the compare.
Crane

Post by Crane »

I can't, I'm afraid.
I don't know enough bash command syntax to have any idea what half of the code you provided means.

Last try: can someone just provide me with a .bat file that does what I originally asked for?

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough background knowledge to employ the solutions you're giving me.
That's entirely on me, not you, but it's turning this into a waste of time for everyone involved.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

In windows, just do it manually the first time. Then you can see what is happening and build a .bat file.

# run compare on the top part of your image (70 pixel high and full width)

compare -metric rmse -subimage-search R2rmWqk.jpg[x70+0+0] template.png null:
The results should look like:
58.9598 (0.00089967) @ 39,13

The first number is the rmse metric value in the range 0 to 65535 (on Q16 IM). Zero is a perfect match
The second number in parens is the metric in the range 0 to 1
The 39,13 is the location of the match.

You can see that the number in parens is 0.00089967 which is smaller than 0.01 (a 1% error, which was what I tested against for a threshold). So it is a good match at the match location

Thus the match starts at row 13. But you need to add the height of the template (38) to that to get the bottom of the match and that much needs to be chopped from the top of your image. So 13+38=51.

Then chop that off your input image:

convert R2rmWqk.jpg -gravity north -chop 0x51 result.jpg
My bash script simply extract the return from compare, separates it and saves the metric in parens and the y offset for the match to variables. It then test if the metric is smaller than 0.01 and if so, then it chops the top off the image.

Sorry I do not know Windows bat scripting.