Preserve exif metadata when used with vBulletin forum

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
photographer
Authentication code: 1152

Preserve exif metadata when used with vBulletin forum

Post by photographer »

Hi,

I'm not a coder, but I do need help in enabling ImageMagick so it does not strip exif metadata from (primarily) JPEG images when they are manipulated by vBulletin forum software.

At present, the metadata is lost.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Preserve exif metadata when used with vBulletin forum

Post by snibgo »

I suggest you use exiftool for this.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
photographer
Authentication code: 1152

Post by photographer »

Thanks, I'm not sure exiftool is the answer - please put me right if I have misunderstood. The problem is that vBulletin uses ImageMagick to resize images and that's when the exif data is lost. It would be great to be able to display the exif data within vBulletin, and exiftool can probably do that, but without data to start with that would be rather moot. Otherwise, most visitors interested in photography will use a browser plug-in to examine the exif data camera and lens settings of uploaded images. I do also realise that there are security concerns with malicious code in image metadata.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

I'm suggesting you use IM to resize or whatever, then use exiftool to copy metadata from the original to the resized image. I don't know how that would work with vBulletin.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com