Problems with EXR under Windows

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Problems with EXR under Windows

Post by fmw42 »

see

http://www.openexr.com/index.html
http://www.openexr.com/ReadingAndWritingImageFiles.pdf

Note IM only supports the "half" format and not the full 32-bit floating point format.

You need to download and install the EXR delegate. Once you do that you can check to see that it was installed after you rebuild IM by typing

convert -list configure

Look for the following line to see what delegates you have installed in IM

For example on my system:

DELEGATES bzlib fontconfig freetype gs jpeg jp2 lcms lqr openexr png tiff x11 xml zlib
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We'd like to support EXR under Windows but our list of bug fixes and enhancements numbers in the hundreds so it may be quite some time before we get to it. However, we would like to remind ImageMagick users that ImageMagick is open source and that anyone can contribute to the project. If someone has free time, feel free to get EXR working under Windows and post your patches here. We will get them into the ImageMagick distribution for a future release.
Bob-O-Rama

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

I don't wan't to seem too argumentative here, as I greatly appreciate the effort put in to Image Magick and don't want to bite the hand that feed me, per se.

So just let me "rephrase" the OP's request. For me, I could care less about EXR. However I'd like to be able to point people at pre-built binaries with HDRI ( or whatever is needed ) support so they can read 16-bit / channel TIFF files, such as those commonly generated by RAW converters. I can understand the Q8 versions not supporting 16-bit / channel formats. But isn't it entirely the point of having a Q16 and Q32 bit version? By having HDRI support ( or any delegate lib support / or whatever is needed to read 16-bit / channel TIFF ) as a compile option you force us to balkanize the binaries.

I just want to be able to read 16bpc TIFF files and get them into a 16-bit INT / channel Image object. That should not require a separate version of the Q16 or Q32 binaries, IMO.

As for delegates, compile them in, but bind to them dynamically. If they are not there, well that's the end user's problem. But having to provide various binary versions of the libraries is not a good thing.

As for your backlog of changes / bugs - do you have a punch list or a Bugzilla behind the scenes? I'm more than happy to give something back for all that I've taken.

-- Bob