The Math Behind Photoshop's Unsharp Mask and Gaussian Blur

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: The Math Behind Photoshop's Unsharp Mask and Gaussian Blur

Post by fmw42 »

Yes, I have the order correct for subtraction. If you do multiple composites, each gets its own clamping. That is why I though of doing the 3 adds in one operation and not two. My guess is that there is different clamping in IM as separate operations than is what is done in the -unsharp command. Or perhaps PS only clamps one side, say negatives, but does not clamp for values over 255? I really do not know.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

If we want the long-winded form of "-unsharp", then:

Code: Select all

set SRC=lena3.png

%IM%convert %SRC% -unsharp 0x3+1+0 u0.png

rem out = O + (O-GB)

%IMDEV%convert ^
  -define compose:clamp=off ^
  %SRC% ^
  ( -clone 0 -gaussian-blur 0x3 -clamp ) ^
  ( -clone 0-1 -compose MinusSrc -composite ) ^
  -delete 1 ^
  -compose Plus -composite ^
  -clamp ^
  u1.png

%IM%compare -metric RMSE u0.png u1.png NULL:
The difference is:

37.9088 (0.000578452)
The second convert needs HDRI.

Note that everything is clamped except the minus operation.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

We can avoid the need for HDRI by using "-compose Mathematics":

%IM%convert ^
  %SRC% ^
  ( -clone 0 -gaussian-blur 0x3 ) ^
  -compose Mathematics  -define compose:args=0,-1,2,0 -composite ^
  +depth ^
  u2.tiff
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Snibgo, in your -compose mathematics, you are processing O + (O - GB) as 2*O-GB with no clamping. Strange that works. But the claim was that PS is using O+(O-GB)-inv(O+inv(GB)). My guess is that the third term is getting parts missed by clamping O-GB. Nevertheless, when I computed O+(O-GB) in my script above using clamp=off in HDRI, it did not work. You seems to imply that it is the gaussian blur that needs clamping. But a gaussian has no negative values and should not exceed values in the original, unless the computation has not properly normalized it.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I think clamping after the blur makes no difference. The important part is that (O-GB) may be negative, so that mustn't be clamped. "-compose Mathematics" works pixel-by-pixel, with each calculation in floating point, though each result here is then written to Q16 integer.
fmw42 wrote:My guess is that the third term is getting parts missed by clamping O-GB.
Yes.

The formula USM='O+(O-GB)-inv(O+inv(GB))' seems to have come from Gimp, which I think records pixel values as 0..255 only. So, when O<GB, (O-GB) is clamped to zero. To compensate, we need to subtract something, and that's what "-inv(O+inv(GB))" is for.

For example, suppose O=33 and GB=44.
USM = 33 + (33-44) - inv(33+inv(44))
Negative values are clamped to zero, and inv(X) = 255-X, so
USM = 33 + (0) - (255- (33+(255-44)))
= 33 - (255 - (33 + (211)))
= 33 - (255 - 244)
= 33 - 11
= 22.

We get the same result from USM = 2*O-GB = 2*33-44 = 66-44 = 22.

Internally, the IM USM takes a longer route because it uses (O-GB) for the threshold:

USM = O + (O-GB) = 33 + (33-44) = 33 + (-11) = 22.
Internally, (O-GB) is stored as a floating point.
fmw42 wrote:Nevertheless, when I computed O+(O-GB) in my script above using clamp=off in HDRI, it did not work.
I'm unsure which of your scripts you mean. When you use "-evaluate-sequence add" to add O and GB and the third term, all three terms are always positive, so you need to subtract the third term.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I'm unsure which of your scripts you mean. When you use "-evaluate-sequence add" to add O and GB and the third term, all three terms are always positive, so you need to subtract the third term.
I had one computation earlier on where I added -define clamp=off but had added the third term. But I now see that I had added a small threshold term. So the comparison with -unsharp is not appropriate for both reasons.

I also computed O + (O-GB), but in that computation I had clamping on. So my comparison for that would not be appropriate either.

Thanks for doing the comparison properly.