Abort Trap: 6

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
d1950
Authentication code: 1151

Abort Trap: 6

Post by d1950 »

I run an iMac with OS X Sierra. I downloaded the latest version of ImageMagick. All I seem to get when I run the convert program is "Abort Trap: 6". I have spent many hours on many websites trying to diagnose this problem. So here I am. Here are my details. Years ago I had an older version working, (although even then there were always difficulties) but I'm starting fresh now.

:D :D :D convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 7.0.3-5 Q16 x86_64 2016-10-18 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2016 ImageMagick Studio LLC
License: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/license.php
Features: Cipher DPC HDRI
Delegates (built-in): bzlib freetype jng jpeg lcms png

:D :D :D convert -list configure

Path: [built-in]

Name Value
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEATURES
NAME ImageMagick
QuantumDepth 16
convert: UnableToOpenConfigureFile `configure.xml' @ warning/configure.c/GetConfigureOptions/715.

:D :D :D type -a convert
convert is /Users/dp/ImageMagick-7.0.3/bin/convert
convert is /opt/local/bin/convert
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Abort Trap: 6

Post by fmw42 »

How did you install? From source or binary?

If from source, you probably need to install all the needed delegate libraries.

If from binary, the binary download for the Mac is for El Capitan at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binar ... php#macosx

"ImageMagick-x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0.tar.gz download download Mac OS X El Capitan"

You may need to compile from source or get and install the binary from MacPorts or Homebrew.
d1950

Post by d1950 »

I downloaded the binary today from exactly the page you cited above. What now? I uncomfortable with the idea of downloading and compiling source code because I'm not as knowledgable as you. I am strongly inclined to keep it simple, meaning I will wait for ImageMagick to upload a correct working Mac OS X binary to that page. Earlier versions of ImageMagick used to work without local compiles and without local changes to delegate libraries. In addition to my iMac I also have Mac Minis and Mac Pros. I guess I could plug them in, download the binary, and see if the bug impacts all Mac platforms or just the iMac. Thanks for the advice.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Using MacPorts or Homebrew makes it easy to install for various Mac OS versions. I also am on a Mac. I download all my delegates from MacPorts and then install IM from source. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21502&p=88202&hilit ... rts#p88202

But for you, perhaps just downloading and installing the binary from MacPorts or Homebrew will be adequate. They come with the basic needed delegates already installed.
d1950

Post by d1950 »

I tried downloading ImageMagick binary onto my Mac Mini and it also fails there with Abort 6. You asked me to try Homebrew and MacPorts but since I have no idea what they do I'm not going to use them since I'm way out of my depth here. I'll just wait until the ImageMagick downloadable binary for Mac OS X is fixed. I love ImageMagick but I'm stuck with other tools until the downloadable program works. Thanks for the messages, I appreciate it a lot.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

It may be a while before they upgrade the release to your version of the Mac OSX, since they only have one mac to compile it. I would urge you to look further into Homebrew or MacPorts.