Possible bug, IM cannot make a layered tiff that shows the layers in PS

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Possible bug, IM cannot make a layered tiff that shows the layers in PS

Post by fmw42 »

I am trying to make a simple test of combining two single layer tif files into a single two-layer tiff. IM sees the resulting two layers in the verbose information, but Photoshop only sees the first layer. Is this a bug? Or does IM not yet know how to write multi-layer tiffs compatible with Photoshop? Or is this just the way Photoshop displays multi-layer tifs?

I am testing on IM 6.9.7.6 Q16 Mac OSX

Here is my test:

Code: Select all

convert logo: logo.tif
convert logo: -blur 0x10 logo_blur.tif
convert logo.tif logo_blur.tif test.tif
test.tif shows two layer in the IM verbose information. But PS only displays the first and shows no mention of the second.
dlemstra
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Possible bug, IM cannot make a layered tiff that shows the layers in PS

Post by dlemstra »

Sorry for replying this late Fred. IM is not reporting two layers it shows two pages. We now only support reading the PSD tiff layer information we cannot write it.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Possible bug, IM cannot make a layered tiff that shows the layers in PS

Post by fmw42 »

dlemstra wrote: 2017-02-21T14:04:52-07:00 Sorry for replying this late Fred. IM is not reporting two layers it shows two pages. We now only support reading the PSD tiff layer information we cannot write it.

If IM is creating two pages and not two layers, that is rather odd. I did not know that TIFF supported pages. I thought it would create two layers.

Can IM be changed to support creating multiple layers?