Need Help Installing PerlMagick

PerlMagick is an object-oriented Perl interface to ImageMagick. Use this forum to discuss, make suggestions about, or report bugs concerning PerlMagick.
DalePuckett

Need Help Installing PerlMagick

Post by DalePuckett »

I have a successful install of the Windows 64 bit version of ImageMagick 6.6.5-Q16 DLL version. With this version the PerlMagick module in my ActiveState Perl 5.12.0.2 works great.

I did this last week some time, but in the meantime I need to get a version of the binary file for windows for the X86 ImageMagick 6.6.5-Q16 DLL version.

I need this because the 6.6.6-3 version of PerlMagick will not work. I tried it with both the X64 install and the X86 install. Fortunately I had saved my installer for 6.6.5-Q16 so I was able to continue.

I've searched everywhere an all I can find is the Source code and I have no way to compile the older source which I downloaded.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a binary for 6.6.5? If not, has anyone been able to get PerlMagick to work with 6.6.6?

I really want to pursue using PerlMagick with my newspaper solutions so I will be happy for any help.

Thanks,

Dale
bobinski
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Need Help Installing PerlMagick

Post by bobinski »

There seem to be many threads which have people unable to build a 64-bit PerlMagick for Windows 7. No-one seems to realise how frustrating it is. Being told that you can build one from source doesn't help as most people in this position don't have the software or expertise to do it successfully.

I keep returning to this forum in the (forlorn?) hope that someone has been kind enough to do it. I have a wonderful 64-bit Perl and ImageMagick on my Windows 7 system, but have failed to get anywhere with PerlMagick.

So, all I can offer here is sympathy, loads and loads of it!!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!! :cry:

If there is anyone out there who can make a 64-bit Windows PerlMagick binary, there are many people out here who will be eternally grateful.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Doesn't http://www.imagemagick.org/download/bin ... 64-dll.exe include a 64-bit PerlMagick distribution? If not, let us know and we'll investigate.
frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

Hello, I'm in the same boat, the PerlMagick fails during install with the below error. I've tried this on Windows 7 64 bit, and on Windows 2008 32 bit, both get the below error during installation. One thing to note, I've been installing GhostScript before the install, just like the installation instructions say to do. Can anyone help with this, I know it's a common issue.

---------------------------
Setup
Unable to execute file:

ppm

ShellExecuteEx failed; code 2.

The system cannot find the file specified.
OK
frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

I just got the installer to work, but running the .pl files does not work, I get the below error now:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageMagick-6.7.4-Q16\PerlMagick>cd demo

C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageMagick-6.7.4-Q16\PerlMagick\demo>demo.pl
Can't locate Image/Magick.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl64/site/lib C:/Perl6
4/lib .) at C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageMagick-6.7.4-Q16\PerlMagick\demo\demo.pl
line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageMagick-6.7.4-Q1
6\PerlMagick\demo\demo.pl line 5.
inthe80s

Post by inthe80s »

I'm having the same issue as frankrizzo is.

I ran the installer for 64-bit Windows and checked the Perl option.

I try running a demo and get the same error he did, so I try running a ppm install from the folder that ImageMagick created and it bombs out like this.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.7.5-Q16\PerlMagick>ppm install Image-Magick.ppd
ppm install failed: The PPD does not provide code to install for this platform
I am running perl 5, version 12, subversion 4 (v5.12.4) built for MSWin32-x64-multi-thread and used ImageMagick-6.7.5-3-Q16-windows-x64-dll.exe to install. OS is Windows 7, 64-Bit Enterprise with Service Pack 1.
yonghuiw
Authentication code: 6789

Post by yonghuiw »

I was able to install the ImageMagic for perl on windows 7:
my perl is 5.8.9, use ActivePerl

download the ImageMagick-6.6.9-10.zip
ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagi ... 6.9-10.zip

unzip, make sure
VisualMagick exists.

use VC++ 2005 to compile
open
D:\software\perl\ImageMagick-windows\ImageMagick-6.6.9\VisualMagick\configure\configure.vcproj

compile
then, you can run generatd configure.exe ( in VS2005 IDE, run F5)
let it generate a configurate project VisualMagickXXXX.vcproj
under
D:\software\perl\ImageMagick-windows\ImageMagick-6.6.9\VisualMagick
open this project and compile All target( choose All to compile solution)
after compile,
copy the build result under bin to an environment system path
D:\software\perl\ImageMagick-windows\ImageMagick-6.6.9\VisualMagick\bin
such as : c:\perl\bin

compile
D:\software\perl\ImageMagick-windows\ImageMagick-6.6.9\PerlMagick\

perl makefile.nt
nmake install

install perl module:
Image-Magick-Thumbnail-0.06