Convert PDF to JPG using ASP classic

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
smitho

Convert PDF to JPG using ASP classic

Post by smitho »

I'm having not luck getting imagemagick to convert pdfs to jpg using ASP.

I'm working on XPPro IIS 5.1 ASP classic. I've installed the latest version of imagemagick to:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\ImageMagick

I have a pdf file sitting in the following folder:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files

If I open the cmd window and run C:\>convert C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.pdf C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\f
iles\test.jpg The pdf is converted to a jpg.

I create an ASP page called image.asp within the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest folder:

Code: Select all

<% 
Set Img = Server.CreateObject("ImageMagickObject.MagickImage.1")
 Img.Convert "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.pdf", "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.jpg"
 %>
The page does not give me any errors but it also does not convert the pdf to jpg.

Any suggestions as to how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.
magick
Site Admin

Re: Convert PDF to JPG using ASP classic

Post by magick »

ImageMagick utilizes the Ghostscript delegate program (gswin32c.exe) to interpret PDF documents. Chances are this is not working in your ASP environment. You can add "-verbose" to your command line to discover to find out the exact command ImageMagick is trying to execute.
smitho

Post by smitho »

Thanks magick I tried:

Img.Convert "-verbose","C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.pdf", "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.jpg"

but still nothing.

I've also tried:

<%
Option Explicit
Dim mytest, WshShell, oExec
mytest = "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\ImageMagick\convert C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.pdf C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.jpg "
Set WshShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oExec = WshShell.Exec(mytest)

Do While oExec.Status = 0
             'WshShell.Sleep 100
         Loop
  Set oExec = Nothing
  Set WshShell = Nothing

%>
Is what I'm trying to do possible? I've used imagemagick previously with PHP and worked like a dream, unfortunately I don't have PHP as any option here.
smitho

Post by smitho »

Just tried this:

<% 
Img.Convert "-verbose","C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.jpg", "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myTest\files\test.gif"

%>
and I got a gif version of the file so it is working.

magick is there anyway to "utilize the Ghostscript delegate program (gswin32c.exe)" to interpret the PDF docs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
daveabad

Post by daveabad »

Having the exact same issue... I can use asp/com to convert a png or gif to a jpg but not a pdf. And adding the verbose parameter provides no clues.

Any ideas on how to configure ghostscript to work with the com object would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave
daveabad

Post by daveabad »

Not sure of your applications for the pdf to jpg conversion but have a look at the process monitor on the server when you run the conversion on the command line. I found it was pegging one of my server's cpu's. This solution might not be suitable for production.
Wkidd

Post by Wkidd »

Same problem.

Version
1. ImageMagick version 6.5.2-7-Q16
2. ghostscript version 8.64
3. Win XP Pro SP3

I have tried to convert a PDF to a JPEG image but nothing happen.

Command Line Test : It's OK.

C:>Convert -density 300 test.pdf test.jpg
ASP Test :Nothing happen.

<%
Img.Convert "test.gif", "test.jpg"                 ' OK

Img.Convert "-density", "300", "test.pdf", "test2.jpg"                 ' Nothing happen
%>
Ghostscript test : It's OK.

gswin32c -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -EPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 -sDEVICE=pnmraw -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r300x300 -dUseCIEColor -dFirstPage=1 -dLastPage=1 -sOutputFile=test3.jpg test.pdf
Command Line with verbose: It's OK.

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.2-Q16>convert -density 300 -verbose test.pdf test.jpg
[ghostscript library] Files/gs/gs8.64/bin/gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVICE=pnmraw" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r300x300"  "-sOutputFile=C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-4ga3VlFr" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-iu4qWdp1" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-5uxeMnYs"C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-4ga3VlFr PNM 1100x660 1100x660+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 2.077mb test.pdf PDF 1100x660 1100x660+0+0 16-bit DirectClass 2.077mb test.pdf=>test.jpg PDF 1100x660 1100x660+0+0 16-bit DirectClass 32kb 0.063u 0:01
Any help pls ...
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Does your command work from the command line? Open a Command Prompt window and enter your command. What happens?
Wkidd

Post by Wkidd »

Yes, I did.

Everthing is ok with command line that I already mentioned on previous post except ASP program.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Ok, its your ASP environment, perhaps a security restriction or a problem loading a DLL. Hopefully a Windows developer will help. The ImageMagick developers do not work with ASP so we cannot help you.
meyca

Post by meyca »

Hi everyone,

has someone been able to resolve the issue? We are experiencing the same problem and would love to hear some hints on that issue.

Any comment is welcome! :-)

Regards
Carsten
kdc415

Post by kdc415 »

Did anyone get this working? Having the same problem. Tried on command line and I discovered that ghostscript did not get installed. Will sort that out first.
kdc415

Post by kdc415 »

I got the latest GhostScript from the delegates download folder, installed that and reinstalled IM and I'm still not showing pdf listed as a delegate. I thought the installs took care of the mappings, but I guess the config files and registry need to be edited? Anyone know?
nitech

Post by nitech »

Does really nobody have an answer to this question? I face the same issue:

- Been using Imagemagick on my IIS6-server for many years. Working flawlessly.
- Installed Ghostscript
- VBS-script and command line can now convert PDF to JPEG or similar - but doesn't work from .ASP-file

I suspect Ghostscript is using a temp folder or trying to write to some kind of location which it has not write access. Imaegmagick for instance uses c:\windows\temp as a temporary storage during execution.

I've tried process monitor, but I cannot distinguish the difference between vbscript execution from vbs-file vs asp-file.

Any ideas? Should we be looking a Ghostscript forums for help?

Another thing: -verbose does not give me any additional info when executing from COM-object inside .asp-file.
fredoche
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by fredoche »

Hello

Did someone find a solution ?
I have exactly the same problem after migrating on a brand new platform with IIS7-2008R2
I'm using latest versions of ghostscript and imagemagick object. Everything works well with command line and .vbs scripts, PDFs manipulations work, but in ASP, it doesn't.
No error message, nothing, even if I use wrong paths as parameter for example, very surprising...
With ASP other formats (jpg,png...) than PDF work flawlessly

Thanks in advance if you have any clue

Fred