Faster Convert Times

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
tr0y
Authentication code: 1151

Faster Convert Times

Post by tr0y »

Hi -

I am reasonably new to ImageMagick, coming from a commercial product and replacing it with IM. I love the tool and this community seems great !

I have lurked for a bit but can not seem to find the answer I need.

I am running IM on a 4 proc / 15GB ram instance of Ubuntu in the AWS cloud on a daily basis my application needs to process anywhere from 100 to 500 3GB to 5GB layered PSD and PSB files, these files are generally CMYK images with 4 to 10 Layers.

While we can get them done, it drags the box down and maxes out the processors. Of course that means we need to put more resources towards IM.

What are the preferred resources to give to IM ?

Does anyone have experience converting lots of large images daily ? Can you share your experience ?

Does the application like RAM, Processors or both ?

Are there any tools to optimize IM ?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Bonzo

Re: Faster Convert Times

Post by Bonzo »

There a few posts about performance on the forum and fmw42 posted these links in another thread that my give you some ideas:
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

dognose

Post by dognose »

I have a few dedicated servers processing images round the clock. Performance is certainly an issue for me.

What version of IM are you running? With OpenMP enabled? Q16?

I've certainly looked at process that take awhile, to see how I can optimize them. (in fact, not all my image processing is done in IM)