Fast method of finding min(R,G,B)

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
tom_dl
Authentication code: 6789

Fast method of finding min(R,G,B)

Post by tom_dl »

I would like to find min(R,G,B) for an image. None of the -colorspace options provide this, so I've constructed a line to generate the desired results:

Code: Select all

convert input.png -separate \( -clone 0,1 -compose Darken -composite \) \( -clone 2,3 -compose Darken -composite \) -delete 0-3 output.png
but it is very slow. I had an idea that using the CMYK conversion's method for K (i.e. min(C,M,Y)) could work by fooling IM into taking the inverse of CMY as input, but couldn't get that to work.

Any ideas very much appreciated!
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Fast method of finding min(R,G,B)

Post by fmw42 »

try

Code: Select all

convert input.png -separate -evaluate-sequence min output.png
tom_dl
Authentication code: 6789

Post by tom_dl »

Can't believe I overlooked that! Thanks, that's 1.5x faster on my machine :-)
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

Note that if the input has an alpha channel, in v7 "magick", "-separate" will give four outputs, where v6 gives three.

So, if you may upgrade to v7 in the future, I suggest you put "-channel RGB" before "-separate", and "+channel" after it.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

snibgo wrote:Note that if the input has an alpha channel, in v7 "magick", "-separate" will give four outputs, where v6 gives three.

So, if you may upgrade to v7 in the future, I suggest you put "-channel RGB" before "-separate", and "+channel" after it.

Good point. Or if the alpha channel is pure opaque, just add -alpha off. However, if the image might be CMYK, the you may want to convert to RGB first (preferably using profiles). So some checks and conditionals may be needed.