PerlMagick on Windows Server 2003 - Crashing system

PerlMagick is an object-oriented Perl interface to ImageMagick. Use this forum to discuss, make suggestions about, or report bugs concerning PerlMagick.
Esieracki

PerlMagick on Windows Server 2003 - Crashing system

Post by Esieracki »

Hello,
I'm trying to get ImageMagick-6.3.5-8-Q16-windows-dll.exe / PerkMagick to run on Windows Server 2003 with ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739. I've installed them with seemingly no problems, but when I run mt-check.pl the following happens:
- The page doesn't finish loading.
- ImageMagick doesn't show up as installed in the MT-Check summary
- This message is at the bottom of the page: Deep recursion on subroutine "Image::Magick::AUTOLOAD" at C:/Perl/site/lib/Image/Magick.pm line 42"
- The memory on the machine is quickly chewed up. I have to run IISRESET to get it back.

I've certainly had IM running on this machine before, but we had a disk failure and have had to rebuild. I don't think it's MT related as I've had a similar sort of bad experience with a couple of the test scripts floating around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting / getting this running? Thanks.

E.J.
magick
Site Admin

Re: PerlMagick on Windows Server 2003 - Crashing system

Post by magick »

We can't help you to debug but if it helps we tried ImageMagick 6.3.5-8 under Apache and mod_perl and it works without complaint (no crash, not memory exhaustion, the PerlMagick extension loads, etc).
OnlineComm

Post by OnlineComm »

I have had a similar problem. This is what MT support told me:
There are not any known issues with Movable Type and ImageMagick, provided that the ImageMagick application and Image::Magick perl module are properly installed on the server.

On a Windows server, the installer for ImageMagick will give you the option to install PerlMagick (the Image::Magick perl module) for a specific ActivePerl build number. The build version that PerlMagick was created for must match the build version of your ActivePerl installation. If the PerlMagick build version does not match the build version of your ActivePerl installation, issues such as those you are encountering often occur when Movable Type attempts to load or perform an operation with Image::Magick (such as create image thumbnails).

You may wish to review the following article for more information on this topic:

http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/00 ... ling_imag/
If that is indeed the case, I'm eagerly awaiting the next version of PerlMagick that will support the latest version of Perl -- v5.8.8.822.
Esieracki

Post by Esieracki »

Online,
Thanks for your reply. When I first had problems, I read about the version matching. After that, I uninstalled ActivePerl and reinstalled the version that matches the newest version of ImageMagick (it's activeperl build 820). That's actually when it got worse, believe it or not. I suppose I could try older versions of Perl and ImageMagick.

Thanks for the advice. Did you ever get it to work?
OnlineComm

Post by OnlineComm »

No. I've just been waiting for an updated install. I don't really want to go to an older Perl version.
Esieracki

Post by Esieracki »

I don't blame you. Are you using something as an alternative?
abjones

Post by abjones »

Hi, I can't help; I'm not running MT. But I am running
ActivePerl-5.8.8.822-MSWin32-x86-280952.msi
ImageMagick-6.3.5-8-Q8-windows-dll.exe
under Windows 2003 Server SP2
using IIS and PerlMagick
at http://vafwis.org/maps
OnlineComm

Post by OnlineComm »

Nope. No alternative. Just doing without CAPTCHA for now. :(
Esieracki

Post by Esieracki »

abjones - thanks for that tip. It didn't work for me at first, but it did after I went through the registry and cleaned up some keys that IM and ActivePerl left hanging around. It makes me wonder if my problems before were because of software or installation options.

Either way, THANKS!

Nice site, by the way.

E.J.
OnlineComm

Post by OnlineComm »

Looks like they must have just done that. :) .9 isn't even listed on the Binary download page, and it was posted to the FTP site on the 15th.

Hmmm... Maybe it was built for this situation... :)

Well, I tried it and we're still having troubles. But maybe it's just all the installing/uninstalling we've done.

Oh well.