Need help modifying Image specific attributes such as Rating

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
alickainc
Authentication code: 8675308

Need help modifying Image specific attributes such as Rating

Post by alickainc »

Hello,

This is my first post, so please be kind to me. I have searched the forum before making this post, and did not find any reference to my topic.

I'm interested in updating the following attributes using bash (or any other script I can run on Linux).
Under Windows OS, I can see the additional attributes such as:
Rating: and I can rate image based on 5 star rating.
Notes:
Subject:
etc.

Please, let me know if I can do something like that using ImageMatick, or if anyone knows of any other scripts that can be used to change the attributes of an image on Linux.

Thank you,
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Need help modifying Image specific attributes such as Ra

Post by fmw42 »

Is the "rating" a standard field in your image format, such as an EXIF field or IPTC field? I don't see them listed as such at: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/escape.php If it were listed, then you could read it with IM.

You could look into EXIFtool and see if rating is a modifiable field with that tool?

Where or what tools report "rating" from an image? Perhaps if we knew more about this field we could help further. Do you have an example of some application or web site that shows this to you. If it is a web site, then it could be something specific to that web site and their database and not a standard image meta data field.

Sounds like this is a windows specific field that Windows keeps track of for images and not a standard tag kept with the image and used by any other platform. So if that is the case, then you won't be able to change it unless you are using Windows OS.

But perhaps I am wrong. So please give us further details.

According to http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exi ... /EXIF.html there is a rating field in EXIF.

So testing:

In IM:
convert rose: rose.jpg

In EXIFtool:
exiftool -rating=3 rose.jpg
1 image files updated

Then in IM:
identify -verbose rose.jpg
Properties:
date:create: 2011-07-13T14:09:56-07:00
date:modify: 2011-07-13T14:09:56-07:00
jpeg:colorspace: 2
jpeg:sampling-factor: 2x2,1x1,1x1
signature: 839b24662f66dbbab9c6ac23017d717deb9bdb1b88a089999f781938f41cfc83
xmp:Rating: 3

Then reading it with IM:
convert rose.jpg -format "%[xmp:rating]" info:

So it looks like you can use EXIFtool to change the rating and use IM to verify or read the rating.

See EXIFtool at http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ for Linux,Mac,Windows
alickainc

Post by alickainc »

Thank you so much for your quick answer.
I'm looking at regular Windows 7 image properties. If I right mouse click on any image (jpg format for example), and go to properties, I see "Details" tab (usually 3rd tab from the left).
On that tab, there are list of properties available. Such as:
Title
Subject
Rating * * * * *
Tags
Comments

Origin:
Authors
Date Taken
Program Name: name of program that modified the image. (CS5 in my case)
Date acquired
Copyright

Image:
Image ID
Dimentions
etc.etc.

Why this is useful to me:
When I use Adobe Bridge utility to browser through photos, I can have extensive sorting and filtering based on the rating, and many other formats of the image. Since I use adobe bridge to connect Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash, I find that feature quite useful.
That is why I was wondering if you guys support that feature.

If my description is still not clear, I can provide image snapshot, to demostrate what I am seeing on my screen.

Thanks again and best regards,
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

see my solution above using EXIFtool. It works to add the rating to the file.
alickainc

Post by alickainc »

Thank you,

You saved me a lot of time with your response, as I was looking for this or similar utility for a while!

Best of everything for you! :D