Query to IM users

Post here to shower the ImageMagick developers with praise or discuss how you could have done a better job if you developed ImageMagick. Or talk about how Photoshop is better than ImageMagick. Even complain about how no one answered your postings in the Users forum. Venting and musings welcomed here.
whugemann
Authentication code: 8675308

Query to IM users

Post by whugemann »

I have to admit that my webpage about IM's usage under Windows is a small contribution in comparision to other people's contributions, like Anthony's Usage pages and Fred's scripts (and all those who work behind the curtains). I however feel somewhat frustrated about the lack of feedback to my small page: There is hardly any at all, so I came to wonder what people are actually trying to do with ImageMagick in the world outside and how many of them are trying to use it under Windows.

This is also somewhat hard to guess from the questions on the discourse server. It looks like most people either try to do bulk processing or just try to do something that could possibly be done more easily by using a GUI programs like Gimp. And most people just put one question on the discourse server and then vanish forever, leaving it at guess whether they kept on using IM or just gave in.

Putting it short: I have been thinking about organising a survey in regard to IM usage for quite a while now, and today a friend directed me to http://www.surveyshaker.com where this project could possibly be undertaken with little effort. So my suggestion would be that I set up a draft of such a survey, send the link to others (Fred, Anthony, Cristy and whoever is interested), who could modify the draft. The final survey could then be promoted via IM's webpage and the discourse server.

I think this could give useful information in regard to future development and problems to treat in the Usage section. So what do you think of this idea?
Wolfgang Hugemann
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Query to IM users

Post by fmw42 »

Wolfgang,

This forum can be set up for a survey. Contact Magick about what you have in mind and see if that is compatible with IM. Perhaps, for a very detailed survey, you may need to do that as you propose.

With regard to your pages, I send people to them at least once a week to answer issue about Window syntax and scripting.

In my opinion, they have been invaluable as a source of information for Windows users.

Fred
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

The only feedback I had from the IM section of my website were people asking for help. Users here have commented about it being useful but only when I have posted in a thread of theirs.
My contact form was getting hacked and so I have now removed it as it was a waste of time. I do not know if I can be bothered to update the IM section of my site or remove it altogether.

With this years stats I had 6,399 unique visits in Jan and am up to 5,379 in Feb and probably would not have had one person email and say thanks for the information :(
NicolasRobidoux

Post by NicolasRobidoux »

With this number of page views, I believe that many people are silently thanking you.

For some reason people generally feel that just sending a thank you note for something on the web is creating spam. And, sometimes, it's actually true. So they only contact devs/docs if they have problems. Or to complain (which is kind of the same).

The only place I've seen occasional thanks is at the GIMP plugin repository, and it's because its' so easy to add a quick comment (and some of them are all over the place), and it mixes directly Forum type discussions within a specific tool's distribution, which encourages giving thumbs up to a specific small bit of code, which is linked to specific developers right there.

-----

If getting thanks is something that would make things more worthwhile, mention on your site that you're always happy to hear that people found your site useful, and that this Forum is an appropriate place for positive feedback.
Last edited by NicolasRobidoux on 2012-04-04T06:00:07-07:00, edited 3 times in total.
NicolasRobidoux

In other words, if you would like thanks, let people know that you'd like thanks, and mention an appropriate way of thanking you.

(My apologies if this is something you tried already, and it got you nothing.)
anthony

Post by anthony »

If you are 'web social' you could add 'like' links to facebook :-)

A fast button like that can makes it VERY easy for people to show their apprecation, and may be able to tell you what parts of your site they appreciate the most :-)
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
NicolasRobidoux

Or Google+. (See the little red icon at the top left of this page (assuming you're signed in, and your browser is g+ friendly).)
laki881

Post by laki881 »

I like the suggestion by NicolasRobidoux to use G+ as it is becoming more popular to use. :)
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

ImageMagick does link to G+. See the icon in the upper right of each page right above the login link.
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Looks like when logged in the button disapears.
anthony

Post by anthony »

doesnt for me. But then I have never pressed it.
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I have never pressed it either as I never knew it was there.

Tried in both IE and Firefox and as soon as I login the button disapears.
NicolasRobidoux

No problem for me.

I'm using Firefox on Linux Mint 12, and I'm logged into my gmail account (as always).

When I click on the red icon (I did it within my favorite post of mine, about scaling Jinc functions---what else!), the g+ icon turns red (if I hover it tells me that I publicly +1'd).

If I click again, it turns white (and hover tells me that I can publicly +1 this).

In other words, for me it works perfectly has a toggle: I like this VS I don't care about this.

(I'm logged into the Forum as myself, although I doubt it makes a difference.)
anthony

Post by anthony »

Perhaps you have some advertising removal filter in YOUR browser?
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

The advertising at the top is there by design. The original post was not about that but about a survey.