Where's ARCHIVE link listing IM versions' OS COMPATIBILITY?

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
WePreferWindows2000
Authentication code: 8675308

Where's ARCHIVE link listing IM versions' OS COMPATIBILITY?

Post by WePreferWindows2000 »

(Reposted here from the USERS section, after suggestion by forum member fmw42)
    • 1.) The Advanced Search on this board BITES. This criterion spews out 6 pages of mostly unrelated results to sift through: +"Windows 2000"
      • Is there a better way to phrase the search?
    • 3.) I have the same question: Which is the latest version of ImageMagick compatible with Windows 2000?

I find that programs are compiled for XP, for NO GOOD (FUNCTIONALITY OF XP-OR-HIGHER REQUIRED) REASON, and that breaks WIndows 2000 compatibility. Microsoft deliberately set XP as the baseline in default compiler templates, to break compatibility and compel upgrades to its Activation-ridden, Windows-2000-warmed-over XP product. Lazy developers miss this, and the result has been broken Windows 2000 compatibility and arrogant Microsoft fanboys disparaging Windows 2000 users.
    Nothing personal, obviously, as this is addressed to no one but the forum: Answers and fixes for the above appreciated.

Merci
    magick
    Site Admin

Re: Where's ARCHIVE link listing IM versions' OS COMPATIBILI

Post by magick »

The ImageMagick binary distributions for Window requires either of Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2, Windows 7 (x86 & x64), Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 (verify MSXML6 is present), Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 & x64), Windows Server 2008 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2, or Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64). For all other Windows distributions, your only option is to find a version of ImageMagick that was built by a third party that is compatible with your release of Windows or you can build ImageMagick frojm source as detailed here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/insta ... hp#windows. Note, we do not maintain older distributions of ImageMagick.
    WePreferWindows2000
    Authentication code: 8675308

Post by WePreferWindows2000 »

When I searched and found in various messages people using ImageMagick on Windows 2000, I figured that ImageMagick once was compiled by you into Windows-2000-compatible versions, the latest version of which I would download from this site.

Certainly, I don't expect OS-peculiar support for ImageMagick running on older operating systems.

So, I am concluding from your reply that a Windows-2000 version compiled by you never existed: All those who ran ImageMagick on Windows 2000 did so by compiling the source code on their own or via a 3rd party.

This should be made clearer for users who may miss this post. Not all of us are running HW that performs better with later OSes.

Thanks for your reply.
      glennrp

Post by glennrp »

magick wrote:... Note, we do not maintain older distributions of ImageMagick.
      We don't maintain OLDER EXECUTABLES. We do, however, have a collection of OLD SOURCES (mostly the x.y.z-10 versions)
      at https://sourceforge.net/projects/imagemagick/files/ that you can use to try to build on your OLD PLATFORM. If you are so inclined, let us know which works and which doesn't, for your particular platforms.
      magick
      Site Admin

Post by magick »

In the past we compiled ImageMagick with VS2006 and VS2008 both of which were likely compatible with Windows 2000. We currently compile with VS2010 which imposes the compatibility matrix we listed in our prior posting. There is another Window 2000 option. Download and install Cygwin. It includes support for ImageMagick 6.7.6-3.
      Pointertovoid
      Authentication code: 13

Post by Pointertovoid »

Hello everybody!
      I too want to run IM on W2k. v6.3.7 Q16 did run, it had been fetched (supposedly at imagemagick.org without third-party compilation) by the installer of LyX 1.5.4.

So let me reformulate the question: what is the latest version of IM whose Windows binaries were compiled at ImageMagick using vs2008?
      I suppose I could find this binary elsewhere, knowing the version number.
      Thanks!