Adding to Windows Path reverses path order.

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
RQuadling

Adding to Windows Path reverses path order.

Post by RQuadling »

Hi.

Completely threw me for a million this one did.

No ImagickInstalled.

PATH is currently

PATH=C:\Batch;C:\Utils;D:\PHP Quickies;C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\;D:\Personal Files\Downloads\Software\System Tools\SysInternals;C:\PHP5;C:\Ruby\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin
;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files\CVSNT;C:\Cygwin\bin;C:\Program Files\Prio;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\bin\NOTES\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\bi
n\NOTES\DATA\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQ
L Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Window
sPowerShell\v1.0;;

Installed http://www.imagemagick.org/download/bin ... ws-dll.exe and said add to path.

Open new command prompt.

Current path is now ...

PATH=C:\Program Files\ImageMagick;;;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAss
emblies\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Fil
es\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\bin\NOTES\DATA\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\bin\NOTES\;C:\Program Files\Prio;C:\Cygwin\
bin;C:\Program Files\CVSNT;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Ruby\bin;C:\PHP5;D:\Personal Files\Downloads\Software\System Tools\SysInternals;C:\Program Files\Windows Resourc
e Kits\Tools\;D:\PHP Quickies;C:\Utils;C:\Batch

Uninstalling Imagick reverts path.
robw

Re: Adding to Windows Path reverses path order.

Post by robw »

I had the exact same problem after installing ImageMagick-6.5.6-5-Q16-windows-dll.exe on Windows Vista Ultimate.

Prior to installation, my %PATH% was:

Code: Select all

a1;b2;c3;d4;e5;f6 --- where a1, b2, c3, etc. represents a valid Windows path.
After installation, my %PATH% was changed to:

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.6-Q16;C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\;f6;e5;d4;c3;b2;a1
Ideally, the installation would not change the order of the %PATH%. Instead the installer would doing one something like this:

a1;b2;c3;d4;e5;f6;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.6-Q16;C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\
Or this:

C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.6-Q16;C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\;a1;b2;c3;d4;e5;f6
I have several versions of tools for which the %PATH% order matters. Examples is Python versions 3.x, 2.6x, 2.5.x, 2.4.x all in my %PATH%. Thus reversing the %PATH% actually changed my system behavior. Ughh.

The manual workaround/fix (after installing) is easy enough to address once I caught ImageMagick not being a good citizen, but would be great if the installer could be fixed so ImageMagick plays nice right from the get-go.

Thanks!
magick
Site Admin

Re: Adding to Windows Path reverses path order.

Post by magick »

We use an external tool to set the path and it apparently has a bug. We will fix the problem in the next point release. Thanks.