PSD file fails to open

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
graemeNPS

PSD file fails to open

Post by graemeNPS »

When I tried to open a client's PSD file with imdisplay.exe (by drag and drop in Windows), this message was displayed in four languages, centered in the image area: "This layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image." The image did not appear.

GIMP 2.6.8 opened the file successfully; IrfanView and Quick TIme Picture Viewer opened it with the above message, no image.

In Photoshop CS2, I resaved the file, accepting defaults, including "maximize compatibility" and then imdisplay and the others could open the resaved psd file.

We use IM as 8bit static libs in a dll to extract preview and thumbnails from clients' images and that process yields the erroneous result with this file; message, no image. Could you please explain what the message means, and why IM cannot process the original file?

thanks,
graeme
Bonzo

Re: PSD file fails to open

Post by Bonzo »

As you know a psd file is made of layers so image.psd[0] is the image with all the layers combined.
The background could be on the next layer so would be image.psd[1] and the text could be on the next layer so would be image.psd[2]

Could this be the problem ? Would flattening the image help ?

Here are some notes of mine http://www.rubblewebs.co.uk/imagemagick/psd.php