ColorSpace detection of pdf image

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
baskote

ColorSpace detection of pdf image

Post by baskote »

Hi,

i extracted this topic out of another thread to not disturb the real discussion there i opened a new topic.

In the other thread you wrote

---------------------
ImageMagick cannot always detect the colorspace of a PDF image. You can always force a colorspace with the -colorspace option:

convert -colorspace CMYK pdf_cmyk_rgp.pdf image.png

However, with a patch we can detect CMYK EPS images. We put a patch in ImageMagick 6.3.2-0 Beta, available sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the problem report.
-------------------------

If you write "cannot always detect the colorspace of a PDF image", it sounds for me you know the limitations. Can you tell me the limitations you know about ?

Markus
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

ImageMagick scans the PDF but does not render its internal objects. If there is a reliable method to determine the PDF colorspace from just scanning the PDF itself we would like to hear about it.