Image dimension/size limitation for convert

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
chanoy

Image dimension/size limitation for convert

Post by chanoy »

Hi,

Are there any limitations for the convert command in regard to the size/dimension of the image? Is the limitation only on the machine (memory, processor, etc) and not on the algorithm?

For example, can I use convert to create a thumbnail from an image (PPM/PGM) that's 2,000,000x2000 pixels.

I don't current have such an image to test ImageMagick with, but I just want to know if the program is written to handle arbitrary large dimension/size (with the help from disk, etc).

Thank you,
onyee
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

In general, the image size limitation is constrained by the amount of free disk you have available. If the image is sufficiently large as defined by the available memory and any resource limitations you impose (i.e. -limit), the pixels are cached to disk. Disk is of course slower than memory so expect the process to be slower than in-memory processing.