SIOX object extraction for IM?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
dognose

SIOX object extraction for IM?

Post by dognose »

I was just reading about an image tool for extracting objects, sorta like a magic wand, but a lot better. Info is at siox.org .. Looks like it's only implemented as a plugin for other image programs. I'm wondering if it's be possible to add it to IM?
magick
Site Admin

Re: SIOX object extraction for IM?

Post by magick »

We can add the functionality to ImageMagick but after checking our to-do list it may well be 2010 before we get to it. In the mean-time if someone implements a basic version of SIOX in C that we could use from the command line, it might get into ImageMagick sooner.
defied

Post by defied »

That looks really impressive, would be excellent if we could do this with imagemagick.
dognose

Post by dognose »

Well, they have written the algorithm in C as a gimp plugin:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/app/b ... iew=markup

I haven't developed plugins for either IM or gimp, so I have no idea how different they are.

Maybe we can convince them to write an initial version for IM.
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I have used siox with Gimp and wonder how it would work with ImageMagick. The version I used in Gimp you had to outline a box area containing the item you were interested in extracting then the areas containg the colours to keep. From what I understand the latest version would be similar but you use a "paint brush" to select the areas ?
I suppose the method I have used could be done with javascript as there are methods around to select cropping areas but how would you impliment the new method ?
Thinking on I suppose you could set up a crop to set your main object and then other crop boxes to find the colours within them to keep?
You are getting into a GUI now ?

Going off on a tangent I found this link which looks interesting although I have not downloaded all the files as I am over my bandwidth allocation this month already :(
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/projects/scene-completion/