Performance Question

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
TPM

Performance Question

Post by TPM »

Novice programmer question

My PHP application needs to process 10-50 images within a few minutes max. The image transformation that is needed I understand in Photoshop, that is to expand the image to cover the full dynamic range (auto level in PS) then to boost the shadow detail by applying an adjustment curve, a gamma adjustment of 1.6 is very close to what I need.

My first test showed a potential problem $Imagick->gammaImage('1.6') took over 30sec to return on a 3000x2000 image which under some circumstances would translate to 10's of minutes of processing.

System is Intel Daul Core 6600 with 2GB mem so I would have thought there should have been enough raw processing power to return quickly enough.

My aplication is atypical in that this is non web but local web served image workflow - have I got the right tool with IMAGICK?
magick
Site Admin

Re: Performance Question

Post by magick »

We're running ImageMagick 6.3.5-8 on an Intel 3mhz with 2GB of memory. We converted a 3000x2000 PNG image with 1.6 gamma in just over 4 seconds.
ridera

Post by ridera »

Post your command and provide a link to a test image and I'll give it a try for you.

Incidentally, though I've not done any serious speed testing, I've found the processing time to be the same for Imagick and PHP exec() command line, as I would expect.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I noticed some redundent code in the eaxample PHP script that I started out from (watermark.php) this also merged a text layer into the image.

Once I trimmed out the redundent code I am down to a few seconds to complete the Imagegamma

Once I get some resuilts under more carefull conditions I will put the results here.

Thanks