Segmentation Fault Issue creating Stars Example ...

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
wortell

Segmentation Fault Issue creating Stars Example ...

Post by wortell »

Code: Select all

sh: line 9: 9260 Segmentation fault convert -size 100x100 xc: +noise Random -channel R -threshold .2% -negate -channel RG -separate +channel \( +clone \) -compose Multiply -flatten -virtual-pixel tile -blur 0x.3 \( -clone 0 -motion-blur 0x10+15 -motion-blur 0x10+195 \) \( -clone 0 -motion-blur 0x10+75 -motion-blur 0x10+255 \) \( -clone 0 -motion-blur 0x10-45 -motion-blur 0x10+135 \) -compose screen -background black -flatten -normalize star_field.gif star_field.gif
this is the result of what I get... i PREVIOUSLY ran this code yesterday and it worked perfectly... i run it today and i get this Segmenation Fault Error... I didn't do a thing to the script... i've tried re-running it throughout the day and thought it was a server capacity issue, but it's not.

It's the example that creates stars... uh Help?

Thanks...

p.s. I've read all the issues on Segmentation Faults that are on this Forum / other sub-forums on this site and NONE apply - so that's why i'm adding this post.

p.p.s. Also, i've checked, I'm running 6.3.5 08/25/07 ImageMagick - thanks!
el_supremo

Re: Segmentation Fault Issue creating Stars Example ...

Post by el_supremo »

You've got "starfield.gif" twice at the end of the command line which would make convert fail but I don't think it should seg fault, although I'm trying the command on Windows XP and IM 6.3.5. With "starfield.gif" occurring once at the end the command works fine.

Pete
wortell

Post by wortell »

el_supremo wrote:You've got "starfield.gif" twice at the end of the command line which would make convert fail but I don't think it should seg fault, although I'm trying the command on Windows XP and IM 6.3.5. With "starfield.gif" occurring once at the end the command works fine.

Pete
yeah, i understand that part of it... i should've only copied it once on the forum, as it's only appearing once in the code itself... i simply had an ECHO of the filename... which produced it twice on the browser page...

Hmm... segmentation fault occurs on a linux/php platform.
wortell

Post by wortell »

wortell wrote:
el_supremo wrote:You've got "starfield.gif" twice at the end of the command line which would make convert fail but I don't think it should seg fault, although I'm trying the command on Windows XP and IM 6.3.5. With "starfield.gif" occurring once at the end the command works fine.

Pete
yeah, i understand that part of it... i should've only copied it once on the forum, as it's only appearing once in the code itself... i simply had an ECHO of the filename... which produced it twice on the browser page...

Hmm... segmentation fault occurs on a linux/php platform.

You gotta love servers.... NOT!
It ** WAS ** (or at least it seems to be) a SERVER issue... the file works fine now and all i did was REFRESH the window... and never touched the file at all...

For those who want to see what I did... i whipped up a quick scenario that was requested on Anthony's random stars tutorials... the REQUEST seemed to me to be get the RANDOM stars, (via the as seen example), but be able to mask them as-is currently done by the bordering box (ie. 100x100), and thus, still allow for the stars' rays to be visible when overlayed (if that's the task at hand) onto that same type of sized area... resulting in the area to be larger (for those stars with rays crossing over the boundaries).

Anyways, thought if anyone wnated to use it then here it is... hope I don't get in trouble for posting a link... i'm not looking for traffic. if you want the CODE for it.. let me know...

I Know that i didn't do it in the most efficient manner possible, as there are about 7-8 system_exec commands in that file... :)

if someone would like to CONSOLIDATE the code, i'd be happy to give them the entire file for there perusal and simply give back to me the QUICKER more easily performed code - to speed up and reduce server usage :).

here's the link:
http://www.getpaidby.us/tutorials/stars/stars.php

Bill