Number of Points allowd in polyline

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Number of Points allowd in polyline

Post by fmw42 »

Some time ago, I reported that -draw "polyline ..." only allowed less than 300 points to be used. I was told that it would be fixed. I see now that it is fixed in IM 6.3.6.2. However, I have a public script that I created to process a large number of points in groups of less than 200. I want to update my script to allow it to process all the points at one time for IM releases subsequent to when it was fixed and still use processing of groups of 200 prior to when it was fixed. Could someone tell me in which release it was first fixed and if there is still any upper limit to the number of points allowed? Thanks.

Fred Weinhaus
magick
Site Admin

Re: Number of Points allowd in polyline

Post by magick »

The limitation on the number of points in a polyline was fixed in ImageMagick 6.3.5. Now the number of points is limited by your shell maximum command line length (usually about 250K now-a-days). You can put your draw command in a file making the number of points virtually unlimited (reference with -draw @file).
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

Can you tell me which minor release version to 6.3.5.x so that I can put a trap in my scripts to use the new unlimited method vs. the older method where I split the number of points into 200 point groups.

Thanks.

Fred W.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We don;t recall the specific minor release when the change was made. To be safe just set your version threshold at 6.3.6 and above.