Future feature request: OpenType font controls

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
rob.verhoeven
Authentication code: 1151

Future feature request: OpenType font controls

Post by rob.verhoeven »

OpenType fonts support various features, and in particular the feature to have certain character combinations map onto especially designed ligatures in the font. I realize this might not be a high priority or pertain to graphics per se, but adding support for OpenType font features to ImageMagick would make it a lot more powerful when it comes to rendering text.

As an example, for a Memrise course that teaches classical Devanagari script, I am now relying on a Python script that employs XeLaTeX to produce PDFs with Devanagari ligatures (available only in the OpenType Sanskrit 2003 font). Then I can convert those PDFs to PNGs using ImageMagick. It would be so much easier if I could just draw the PNG in ImageMagick directly, but when I try to do that, it is unfortunately not able to render the desired ligature, but instead shows the sequence of atomic characters.

Cheers for an otherwise incredibly helpful graphics editing framework, btw!
Last edited by rob.verhoeven on 2017-09-07T08:03:46-07:00, edited 2 times in total.
rob.verhoeven

Re: Future feature request: OpenType font controls

Post by rob.verhoeven »

PS. It seems others have also wondered about OpenType support in ImageMagick.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Have you tried it with Pango in IM?
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
rob.verhoeven

Post by rob.verhoeven »

snibgo wrote: 2017-09-07T08:39:30-07:00 Have you tried it with Pango in IM?
I didn't know about Pango in ImageMagick. I have tried and it indeed produces the ligatures, thanks!