How to draw a pie slice - Attempts included

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
Axeia

How to draw a pie slice - Attempts included

Post by Axeia »

Been pulling my hair out over how to draw a pie slice, nothing I do seems to work.
If someone could tell me how to do it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Code below is my testcase, bottom left image is close.. and although the borders seem somewhat 'arced' it isn't exactly nice a circle.. more like the design of stealth bomber with those triangular edges.

Code: Select all

<?php
    function getPointOnCircumference( $widthOfCircle, $heightOfCircle, $degrees, $x = 0, $y = 0 )
    {
        return array( 
            'x' => $x + ($widthOfCircle/2)  * sin( deg2rad( $degrees ) ),
            'y' => $y + ($heightOfCircle/2) * cos( deg2rad( $degrees ) )
        );
    }

$width  = 400;
    $height = 400;
    $x = $width / 2;
    $y = $height / 2;
    $im = new Imagick();
    $im->newImage( $width, $height, "black", "png" );

$draw1 = new ImagickDraw();
    $draw1->setFillColor( 'lime' );
    $draw1->pathStart();
    for( $i = 0; $i < 360; $i+=30 )
    {
        $draw1->pathMoveToAbsolute( $x/2, $y/2 ); //Move 'pencil' to middle of image.
        $point = getPointOnCircumference( $width/2, $height/2, $i );
        $draw1->pathLineToRelative( $point['x'], $point['y'] );
    }	
    $draw1->pathClose();
    $im->DrawImage( $draw1 );

$draw2 = new ImagickDraw();
    $draw2->setFillColor( 'orange' );
    $draw2->setStrokeColor( 'red' );
    $draw2->pathStart();
    {
        $draw2->pathMoveToAbsolute( $x+$x/2, $y/2 ); //Move 'pencil' to middle of image.
        $draw2->pathLineToRelative( $point['x'], $point['y'] );
        $point = getPointOnCircumference( $width/2, $height/2, $i+30 );
        $draw2->pathLineToAbsolute( ($x+$x/2)+$point['x'], $y/2+$point['y'] );
    }   
    $draw2->pathClose();
    $im->DrawImage( $draw2 );

$draw3 = new ImagickDraw();
    $draw3->setFillColor( 'pink' );
    $draw3->setStrokeColor( 'yellow' );
    $draw3->pathStart();
    {
        $draw3->pathMoveToAbsolute( $x/2, $y+$y/2 ); //Move 'pencil' to middle of image.
        $draw3->pathLineToRelative( $point['x'], $point['y'] );
        $point = getPointOnCircumference( $width/2, $height/2, $i+30 );
        $draw3->pathEllipticArcAbsolute( $width/2, $height/2, 0, false, false, $x/2+$point['x'], ($y+$y/2)+$point['y'] );
    }   
    $draw3->pathClose();
    $im->DrawImage( $draw3 );	

header( "Content-Type: image/png" );
    echo $im;
?>
mkoppanen

Re: How to draw a pie slice - Attempts included

Post by mkoppanen »

Mikko Koppanen
My blog: http://valokuva.org
Axeia

Re: How to draw a pie slice - Attempts included

Post by Axeia »

After about 90 minutes of trying to figure which class is actually drawing the 'piesegment' I gave up..
The "ezcGraphRenderer $renderer" parameter is apparently a class that can draw a pie siegment, but "ezcGraphRenderer" is an abstract class with an abstract "drawPieSegment" method. Can't find where the class implementing "ezcGraphRenderer" that's being fed to the "ezcGraphPieChart" class is located at.

So going trough the documentation again hoping it's easier to look trough than the files themselves I stumbled upon this bit.
"ImageMagick Installed on most servers, but has some issues with transparent backgrounds in SVG documents. Example command with ImageMagick:

convert -background none input.svg output.png"
Which is not what I want.. as I'm trying to speed up what I'm doing and I already got a way to convert the chart as an svg using the PHP Imagick functions (which from what I've read is faster than using exec.. think I read it on your blog even :)).

Perhaps you could tell me if converting a svg to png is actually slower than drawing the entire image as a png?
Cause a SVG is used to create the graph and I'm simply trying to redraw it as a PNG as efficiently as possible... and converting it from svg to png created a bit more serverload than I expected.
So is converting a SVG slower than creating the same image? (if it's roughly the same I'll just stick to converting it).

PS:
Thanks for the reply and your work on imagemagick, unlike my post might indicate I do actually enjoy working with it.